Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Did the ultimate tbi mod and quarter mod tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:46 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about
Default Did the ultimate tbi mod and quarter mod tonight.

So i had nothing to do,sitting around the house. Yesterday i found my dremel and decided to do the tbi mod and quarter mod.

Spent 2 hours grinding down the ridges and polishing it. Then stuck a quarter in the regulator. Installed everything back in the blazer,started it up and ran horrible. Some idiot forgot to plug in the iac. after that it ran great. I took it for a spin. So far ive noticed my middle end greatly improved and my top end doesnt feel as dead. Didnt really effect my throttle response much since its already improved from intake and exhaust and timing being done/tinkered with. Id say its worth it if you have yet to do it already. Once i get the 350 built i will grind down the butterfly ridges and buy a injector spacer. Or pick up a extra injector housing gasket at the junkyard for free since im cheap.

I will update this in a few days so i can give my blazers computer a chance to readjust to the new mods.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:51 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Hows that knock doing ? =P lets call it MR knock

Old 08-04-2011, 11:53 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Its a knocking! I wonder how long its gonna last. Ive been beating the hell out of it lately and its still running strong. Just with a bad knock coming from it. Tonight i was doing burnouts in a friends driveway testing out the quarter mod lol.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:58 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chris015
Its a knocking! I wonder how long its gonna last. Ive been beating the hell out of it lately and its still running strong. Just with a bad knock coming from it. Tonight i was doing burnouts in a friends driveway testing out the quarter mod lol.

lol wow really? burnouts? thats some strong engine you got

Old 08-05-2011, 12:15 AM
BF Veteran

Its always been a torque monster. More so then my old blazer. The rear end has been tampered with before i got it. I wonder if it has some mad gears in it. I need to count the teeth one day and find out. I dont think its the original 3.42's

Old 08-06-2011, 03:18 AM
KC90 is on a distinguished road

So the "ultimate TBI mod" is just boring it out or..? Tried looking it up but didnt really get anything specific.

As for the quarter, it raises the pressure up a little. Which in turn would use more fuel? Or makes the fuel burn better due to better atomizing...

New to the TBI scene. Only had a carbed 76 F150 and a direct EFI 99 Explorer.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:20 AM
BF Veteran

Remove the air filter housing and look at the tbi unit. see those ridges around the inlets? You grind them down to improve air flow. The quarter mod i suppose uses more fuel since you can surely tell it has more spray when you rev it up..Not sure on how this effects gas mileage. i will know later next week.

Tonight on the way home from fishing it feels kinda sluggish in the low rpms when moving from a stop. Once it gets up to 3k or so it runs better then it did before the mod. Im gonna drive a few more days like this to see if it improves. Maybe the quarter might be too much, or i need to play with the timing a little now. Im also going to try going to premium fuel to see if it helps any.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:19 AM
BF Veteran

Alright I drove it around today testing it out etc.I could definitely notice a loss of power. So i pulled over and cut the blazer off and advanced the timing a little bit to see if it would help any. It did help a good bit. the bog out of a roll went away. Now im just worried about pinging etc since it was already advanced to 4*. Not sure what it is now since i no longer have a timing light. I didnt turn it much at all. Just a bit. I also adjusted my tps. Its missing a bolt so it wont line up exactly perfect. It seemed to help the shifting etc. Im going to pull the quarter out tomorrow and try it with just the shaving mods.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Did you ever pull the quarter out and compare?

Old 07-02-2012, 01:04 PM
BF Veteran

holy cow i forgot about this thread. I have yet to do so. I removed my tbi and cleaned it back in feb. I was going to remove the quarter but the diaphragm is looking a little fragile so i didnt wanna touch it. One thing i get every once in a while is If i start up the blazer and immediately put it into gear and take off once it gets around 4k it shutters and bogs (i do this when its hot,not a cold start). Seems like i have to give it more then 5 seconds of easy driving before it wants to run right. Its done that for a year now.It only does that once in a blue moon. I really do need to pull the quarter and see if it fix's a few small random glitches i get sometimes. Its no biggie though,as long as i let her idle for a 5-10 secs before leaving it runs great. I pulled a few plugs and they are clean and healthy,although i have a rich smell.

It runs great from off the line to 80,so im not touching it unless im improving it.