Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

How many miles to a tank of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:12 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

i drive the **** out of my Blazer. I drive about 26 or so miles a day and stay on the gas the whole damn way. I try to keep it under 3500 rpms (unless so a hole needs me to pass the hell out of him) but beyond that, it's game on.
i roll until my ODO reads 220 then juice her up. That usually takes me within 2-3 gallons from empty. hope you enjoyed all of that for those 2 crappy numbers

Old 11-03-2009, 12:15 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

I dont like to drop under half a tank... and most times I swear I would get anywhere from 120-130 up to about 180 on half a tank of gas...

Old 11-03-2009, 05:57 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABN31B
i drive the **** out of my Blazer. I drive about 26 or so miles a day and stay on the gas the whole damn way. I try to keep it under 3500 rpms (unless so a hole needs me to pass the hell out of him) but beyond that, it's game on.
i roll until my ODO reads 220 then juice her up. That usually takes me within 2-3 gallons from empty. hope you enjoyed all of that for those 2 crappy numbers
Curtis, you crack me up!

i'm also glad to see that i'm not the only one that makes their Blazer sing.

also i'm down to 368km for the last tank (76 friggin' liters!) 'cause some Honda wanted to see how well my Import bumper worked!

Last edited by old skool luvr; 11-03-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: bad wording/language
Old 11-09-2009, 08:05 AM
mjansen253 is on a distinguished road

wow. i have a 2003 4x4 four door LS blazer with 15gallon tank and i get about 12mpg city and 16mpg highway. its about 180miles per tank. any ideas on how to get better mpg??? oh and i have 102000 miles on engine if that helps. any tips will be helpful thanks.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

If I'm not mistaken, you actually have an 18 gallon tank. But I'm still new to the Blazer world so I could be wrong. But one tip is to stay light on the throttle. If its city driving, I don't go above 2500 RPMs in any gear, only exception is if I pass someone going more than 5 under. For highway the only time I get up above 2500 is if I am going on a shorter on-ramp and need to quickly go from 25 to 70pmh. Ofcourse, there are times where I'm in a hurry and need to go a little quicker, but thats why now I try to leave 5 minutes early. I recently made these changes and am now getting a consistent 16.5-17.5 mpg with 90% of my driving being city. I got 21 highway by using cruise control and keeping the RPMs low and not going over 70.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:01 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

I get about 230 miles to a tank, and get about 16 mpg combined. What I don't get is, my mom has a 2001 Bravada, and she averages 18! It's not like she grandmas it or anything either. I'm confused.
Then again, I do like to make my Blazer roar! Sounds too good not to.

Last edited by cbr995; 11-10-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Beginning Member
Oleyella is on a distinguished road

I get about 8 mpg, 9 on a good day. I've got a 31 gallon tank however, so I get about 248 miles per tank. But I drive a lot of long distances (Williamsburg, VA to OBX, NC is considered pretty short for me), and have even thought about getting a second, smaller tank just to use for those trips so I don't have to keep stopping.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:48 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

I managed to use a little over half a tank (9.5-10 gallons total) to drive high speed with full cargo and cruise control on most of the way for 180 miles without stopping (like about 18-19 mpg) between college in the Mohawk Valley Region of NY State to home in the Mid-Hudson Valley region on the NYS Thruway.
That is also while using Lucas Fuel Treatment every few tanks (like every 1000k), using 89 octane Sunoco and Mobil gas in the tank and 5W-30 High Mileage Oil with Lucas Oil Stabilizer in the engine. Back home, I was lucky to get 15 mpg in town (usually 14). My truck is like a jet when it comes to gas, especially on college > home trips and back. With gas, tolls, food, bottled water and added maintenance (accelerated fluid changes because of the higher mileage), it makes one trip alot of money. Also I normally refuel when the "fuel used" computer says 10-11 gallons used.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Oleyella
I get about 8 mpg, 9 on a good day. I've got a 31 gallon tank however, so I get about 248 miles per tank. But I drive a lot of long distances (Williamsburg, VA to OBX, NC is considered pretty short for me), and have even thought about getting a second, smaller tank just to use for those trips so I don't have to keep stopping.
use a tank from a Suburban. the tank in my 'Burb is 40 gallons. i'm getting around 700 miles to a tanks, so that's like 17.5 mpg. now, i know my 'Burb has the 6.2 in it, but @ least the 40 gal tank will give you great distance between fill ups.

Originally Posted by Phil
If I'm not mistaken, you actually have an 18 gallon tank. But I'm still new to the Blazer world so I could be wrong. But one tip is to stay light on the throttle. If its city driving, I don't go above 2500 RPMs in any gear, only exception is if I pass someone going more than 5 under. For highway the only time I get up above 2500 is if I am going on a shorter on-ramp and need to quickly go from 25 to 70pmh. Ofcourse, there are times where I'm in a hurry and need to go a little quicker, but thats why now I try to leave 5 minutes early. I recently made these changes and am now getting a consistent 16.5-17.5 mpg with 90% of my driving being city. I got 21 highway by using cruise control and keeping the RPMs low and not going over 70.
that is correct.

and the "stay light on the throttle" is most important for dead stop starting. but even that doesn't ensure you'll see higher mileage. my '98 seems to run 400km/tank regardless of 70 mph highway driving with the cruise set, or 30/70 city/highway split.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A 'burb tank won't fit in a Blazer without some major rework. I've measured them!

Quick Reply: How many miles to a tank of gas?