Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Improving performance on an older K-5

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 09:25 PM
gsquared is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Improving performance on an older K-5

Planning on taking a long road trip next year, AZ to AK, in my '88. Would like to improve performance in HP and MPG, without sacraficing reliability. So here are some of my thoughts let me know if I'm a complete idiot or not.

Changing over to a serpintine belt system. My thinking here is 1 belt instead of 4, fewer spares to carry and easier to change. Also I've seen that changing the under pulleys over to serpetine will increase HP. If I change over to the serpenine system I'll add new PS, High flow water pump, Altenator and upgrade the AC to r134a.

Upgrading the exhaust ie. adding headers, high flow catalytic converter, and muffler. Again to gain an increase in HP.

Cold Air intake, not really as there is no such thing as cold air in Phx. Would insulating the current intake work just as well as a cold air intake? If I use ceramic headers to help keep engine compartment temp down Would a cold air intake still make much difference?

Some additional info that might be useful. I'm planning on spending between 5 and 8k on improving Big Blue. Which will include new bumpers, somthing more suitable to offroading, and some body work and paint. The odometer shows 211+k miles so she could a valve job. I'm open to any ideas from dropping in a crate engine to changing out manifold and heads.

Anything else that You know of that would help let me know.

I'd appreciate any and all advice and suggestions.

Thanks Gsquared

TTFN

Old 08-03-2006, 01:29 AM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Improving performance on an older K-5

Sounds like your well on your way here are some suggestions. Along with my '90 fullsize I have an '86 K10 so I know where your coming from.

The serpentine belt is good, Do not switch to an electric fan this is a reliability issue that can cause you all sorts of problems if it fails. The high flow water pump, new power steering (I reccomend AGR), and alternator (POWERMASTER makes a good product).

Along with the water pump upgrade, you might want to look into a better cooling higher capacity radiator (FLEX-A-LITE or BE COOL). One cheap easy add on is a coolant additive ROYAL PURPLE and RED LINE make them, they actualy do work.

Along with the alternator you might want to replace the plug wires with 8.5mm and add some sort of heat shield (boots, tape, ect), and upgrade the coil and distributer parts. Some hi perf plugs. The better the burn, the better the performance.

The exhuast, a good way to go. The cold air system won't do you any good where you are except to move the intake away from the engine a little. But a high flow filter will help. Insulating it? I am not sure I have never tried it hmmmmm *note to self*

If you have a ROCHESTER carb still on it, change it and the intake. The ROCHESTER is almost impossible to set up right.
(I can't remember if the TBI was on your year if so you can upgrade that as well)

Add some coolers to it, for the tranny and oil you can even get a power steering cooler from AGR.

As for dropping a crate in. You will find that the cost of the crate and the ignition and the fuel ect. You will end up blowing your budget. You can upgrade/ replace your heads, just make sure what you get gives you the results you want.

One thing I almost forgot is the OEM starters, they tend to be a bit fragile when it comes to heat and quality of parts you might want to look at a POWERMASTER.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:11 PM
gsquared is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Tom, It is TBI with a manual transmission. Didn't think much about the starter since I had to change that out last year, now I know.

Thanks again

Gsquared

ttfn

Old 08-04-2006, 12:04 AM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it could be a TBI. HOLLEY makes a performance TBI that uses the stock harness and brain. EDELBROCK makes a EFI conversion that uses the existing injectors and stock harness and brain. They should give you a perf. boost. as well as better mpg.