Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

MAF problems resolved

Old 01-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Labinnac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MAF problems resolved

I own a '00 2 door 4x4, I've been having problems w/ it since i got it back this past summer. I could not figure out what was causing it but when i would hit the gas it would struggle and not want to go in OD sometimes. Some people told me it was the spark plugs, others said it was the tranny. I even had it plugged into a diagnostic and it didnt tell me anything definate. So I've been driving my truck w/ very poor performance, and almost ready to give up thinking it was just a POS. Recently I've been looking at forums, such as this, to figure out what could be the problem. The one problem that keeps coming up, is the MAF being covered w/ oil from a K&N filter which i have installed in my truck. So earlier tonight i "recharged" the filter and also took out the MAF, which i've never done before. Well 90% of it was just black, so i carefully removed the dirt and put everything back together. I took it for a short test drive and the difference was amazing, it runs great now. I would have never guessed doing something soooooo simple could have such a HUGE impact on my truck. I'm actually proud to own a Blazer now.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:15 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: MAF problems resolved

Yes, I have said it MANY times. If you run with a K&N, cleaning your MAF should be as routine as checking your tire pressure, oil and coolant levels...

Especially after a filter recharge. I would bet that 95% of the people that use a K&N air filters over oil them when they clean and recharge the filter. It is very difficult to only use the right amount of oil and is very easy to over oil. That is why I use my shop vac (don't use your wifes house vacuum cleaner!!!) to pull off any excess oil before I put mine back in. The process that I use is to first washing it. Then, I pull off any excess water with my shop vac and let it dry overnight. Reoil it in the morning and let it sit for atleast 2 hours on some old newspapers. It isn't until 2 hours after I oiled it that I take the shop vac to it. This process DRAMATICALLY reduces the chances of quickly coating your MAF, but just the fact that you run an oiled air filter means that you will have to clean it MUCH more than running with a regular paper filter.

Ofcourse then I have to clean my shop vac hose with some dawn dish soap and water, but thats just me. I keep everything I own in tip top shape.

Now on cleaning your MAF. I normally use an aerosol can of electrical contact cleaner and this has worked for just about all the times that I have cleaned it. The first time I cleaned mine, I had to use the contact cleaner - sprayed into the cap off the can - and a q-tip, with very light pressure to clean the elements. Another thing to not overlook is the MAF screen. The screen can be just as dirty as the MAF itself, however, it will not cause a skewd MAF frequency. It will, however, choke off airflow into the engine. Before you say just take out the screen... Bad idea. The MAF is calibrated to run with the sceen. The function of the screen is to maintain nice laminar flow over the entire cross-section of the sensor. By doing this, the sensor elements are taking a sample of the airflow and using that sample to calculate the total airflow through the sensor body.

Ok... So, moral of the story is to clean your MAF, and clean it often. Just a last warning... BE VERY CAREFUL when cleaning your MAF. They are $$$.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road

I replaced my MAF sencer about 6 mths ago. It still is sending a code for low input for it. Took the MAF sencer back and replaced it for free. Still sending the code. Also had a code for bad camshaft position sencer so I replaced it and its still sending a code for it. BTW I got my 97 blazer back that I used to have. Post more pics soon.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you ever have the codes cleared?

Old 01-17-2006, 03:22 PM

I've had them cleared 3 times in the last week, as soon as it turn it on they come up again.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk
Ok... So, moral of the story is to clean your MAF, and clean it often. Just a last warning... BE VERY CAREFUL when cleaning your MAF. They are $$$.
About $150 to be exact. What a bitch it would be to break one of those little guys.

BTW, what kind of oil do you use? did you just get the KN recharge kit?

Old 01-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point

About $150 to be exact. What a bitch it would be to break one of those little guys
Thats cheap. It cost me $300 for a MAF sensor for my car, and thats refurbished, not new.

I been following this post and I think I will clean my MAF and see what happens.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:28 PM

Jman if that was for your blazer you got raped. they are only $100 to $150 for new.
But it is awsome when you replace them you have a yr warranty-just got another one for free.