Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Tune up, what all do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: My problem is obvious

Ok..I did this really fast with a crappy mouse...but you get the idea [sm=laughat.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/501/C7A614C10BC64923AA1D27E8A63BBB41.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Starting Member
Bocomo is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to be amongst friends.[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 01-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. Happens to every DIY'er at one point or another. Glad you got it fixed.

Hey, atleast you made the mistake and it wasn't someone you were paying $60/hr to do it. Had my steering shaft replaced on my Bonneville not too long ago and the tech left the steering angle sensor unplugged disabling my traction control, ABS, and Stability Control!!! Pulled off the hush panel, plugged the damn thing back in and everything went back to normal...

Old 01-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Labinnac is an unknown quantity at this point

OI I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Is there any vehicle that is more difficult to do this on. I was at the auto hobby shop and 3 ov my buds from work came in, still took 3 hrs to do. I had to take off the passenger wheel to go through the well, and on the other side there's the stearing arm right in front of the middle plug. But I put some beefy plug wires in place ov the stock ones. I got em from summitracing.com which sent a bunch ov free stuff with the plugs. I plan to buy a new coil for a hotter spark from there next. One thing i did notice was that i was left w/ an extra plug wire. I accounted for the six plug wires and the coil wire..any one have an idea ov what this extra plug wire is for? Any way I wish the blazers had a straight 6 in em just for this purpose. Oi it'd be 100x easier to work on.

Old 01-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Many of the "exact" fit wire sets include 2 different configurations of coil wires. Why, I don't know.

Old 01-22-2006, 05:34 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Labinnac

One thing i did notice was that i was left w/ an extra plug wire. I accounted for the six plug wires and the coil wire..any one have an idea ov what this extra plug wire is for? Any way I wish the blazers had a straight 6 in em just for this purpose. Oi it'd be 100x easier to work on.
I agree with the straight six idea especially when the 4.2 puts out 275hp. But the extra wire is for another style of cap. These wire sets are exact fit for more than one application that way... ie it could work with a Ford or Chrysler V-6, if it really bothers you just go back to summitracing.com and check out the link for applications for that wire set....you will notice more than your specific vehicle....

Old 02-01-2006, 09:00 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Did not change dist cap & rotor.

wow, maint time for alot of folks. I just spent $125.00+ at Autoz... on new AC-Delcos, $5.99 ea.
Dist cap & rotor, $57.99 (comes together if you purchase the "gold" one. It has brass points on it. Wires $38.00 I believe.

Son't forget to use dielectric grease ($.99 for a little packet) on the plugs and all of the wires. Might as well put some anti seize on the spark plug threads.

I noticed the original distributor cap had a crack on the back side. No idea how that happened. Also the torx screw (#15 size) hole in front of the cap was destroyed. The othe screw in the back is holdin the cap down. Hope it stays put.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:32 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Did not change dist cap & rotor.

And it is me! That is the good news and nothing too new either.

I got ready to replace the rotor and distributor cap with a very nice rachet, socket and electrical tape. I followed the spark plug wires from the cap down to just to make sure. While doing this I found that one wire wasn't even on the plug. Put that wire on the plug and the rough idle went away.

I don't always make follow up posts where I turn out to be the idiot, but thought I owed to you guys. Due to my excitement I left well enough alone and did not change the rotor and distributor cap. I'm going to buy a torx socket set and then I'll do it. There isn't any hurry right now.

Once again I am the class dunce.

Bocomo
1999 Blazer LT 4x4 4dr
80,800miles 4.3L 4L60E
K&N Air Filter
Get the tamper resistant torx bit set. Might come in handy.

I'm putting flex loom on the spark plug wires tomorrow. there was visible contact of 2 wires. Wish I had thought of that when before I finnished the passenger side. Doh!!!