Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

weak startup

Old 10-16-2006, 04:38 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default weak startup

sometimes when i startup it kinda starts weak, then surges and dosent sound very strong. happens maybe 50% of the time......would this be mainly my batteries fault? Or is there more to it such as fuel pressure or something.......?

Adam

Old 10-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: weak startup

I do not think that fuel pressure would not have an impact on the starting power of your vehicle. This is typically caused by a loose/corroded connection to the battery. A dying battery could also be the source of the problem as well as possibly a dying starter. The reason why I stated the battery connections first is because it is intermittent. A loose or corroded connection will vary with temperature, humidity, etc...

Does it do this more when the engine is hot or cold? Anything else that accompanies this behavior that may help us diagnose it further?

Old 10-17-2006, 02:43 AM
BF Veteran

on cold startups it starts very good and strong.........I will check the connections, but im sure there nice and clean, and probably not loose....cant think of anything else that goes to it......
and thanks for the reply kyle, ur toooooooo deadly, lol.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:06 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Your alternator may be going.

Get the alt, starter, and batt to A-zone for a free diagnostic.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:50 PM
BF Veteran

alt and batt are brand new!!!!! i hope not.......maybe my stereo drains too much of the batt. juice. No autozone here......think its 25 or 30 bucks to get that checked....
ahhh well, my alt is still warrentied....anyway to check a starter? and how much is a new one? could it be the 'ignition control' thingy or no......my mechanic said they commonly go bad......or something to that effect

Old 10-17-2006, 05:21 PM
guywm25 is an unknown quantity at this point

If after checking the battery connections the battery itself and that is not the problem, just a suggestion, when I bought my alternator at the local parts store, the "old man" behind the counter reminded me to make sure and clean the ground wire connected to the chassis, like I said it is just a suggestion.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:39 PM
BF Veteran

thanks guy
My mechanic just slapped er in, I needed my truck back fast.....took em about 10 or 15 mins........