Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

02 4x4 feels like its in 4 low all the time.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Beginning Member
MississippiTexan is on a distinguished road
Default 02 4x4 feels like its in 4 low all the time.

ok last Thursday i welded up the new exhaust and went to test drive the truck, first time it has been driven at any speed after i got it, and as the thread title says it feels like its in 4 low all the time. IE super high RPM not wanting to shift from gear to gear and a top speed of maybe 50 in top gear pushing red line. the thing is when i test drove it before buying it, it did have sluggish shifts but shift points were more or less normal... it only seems to have started this after the battery died on me when going through testing to see if the TC shift motor would shift into all points (important information regarding the Transfer case, its a 3 button NP1 RPO).

i will admit the length of testing i have had time to do thus far has been limited to just fuses and trans fluid. the fuses were good and the fluid was about half a quart low but still within the acceptable range. tomorrow if time allows i will pull the truck in after work and see about removing the motor to check the shifting and position of the transfer case.

also more than probably worth noting that the dash switch buttons were lit before the battery died and now they wont light. i also know that the truck has cat and o2 codes because the previous owner apparently didn't like or couldn't afford to replace the converter. i will hook my scanner up tomorrow on lunch and update with all codes that come up.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:42 AM
Beginning Member
MississippiTexan is on a distinguished road

Got to work early this morning and checked the transfer case was indeed stuck in 4 low. I went ahead and left the transfer case motor off until the one I ordered comes in.

Trans still has sluggish shifts but it's at least driveable if I need it.