Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1984 Blazer S10 w/ 3.4l engine Won't Start!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 03:31 PM
onecrazyfoo4u is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1984 Blazer S10 w/ 3.4l engine Won't Start!

New to the forum hi all! Just bought this 84 about 2 months ago. It's all original, no engine modifications, stock 2BL carb, electronic fuel pump, etc. It's been running great all along until this morning it wouldn't start up. It caught for a second, and chugged for about 5 seconds (sounded like it was running only a couple cylindars) then died and won't start at all now. The last owner told me he did a 1998 3.4l engine swap. This sounds like a really common swap, and you can't even tell the difference by looking at the engine. I'm trying to find some specifications on this engine. I have reciepts for it, but it doesn't tell me what car the engine was out of. Anybody have a link to general specifications for the 3.4l motor, like spark plugs, ignition, timing, etc.?

I'm just trying to troubleshoot and it's hard without specs for the 3.4l. Main thing I need, is what spark plugs are used for this engine (heat range + gap)? What's the timing supposed to be set at? I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't start, anybody? Thanks for the help!

Old 12-10-2008, 03:55 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 1984 Blazer S10 w/ 3.4l engine Won't Start!

This ought to help.

http://www.s10extremist.org/tech_art...28to34swap.htm

Old 12-10-2008, 05:18 PM

Yeah, it has a bit of info, but nothing really specific....and it doesn't have much on the carb version of the swap either. Thanks though! Is there somewhere on the engine where the code or vin would be stamped? I'm just trying to figure out exactly what engine it is.....I'm thinking it's a 93-95 camaro 3.4l, and the previous owner told me wrong (told me it was a 98 engine, I think it was swapped out in 98). Because I don't see any 98 3.4l that would be a direct swap, from the looks of it. Am I right here? Thanks again.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:18 PM

Whoops, double....

Old 12-10-2008, 07:03 PM

Well, I pulled the plugs, and they all smell like gas really bad. So, I'm guessing this means that the carb is flooding? How do I fix it? I'm not too knowledgable on carbuerators....always had fuel injected vehicles. Should I just let it sit for awhile and then try starting again? It just turns and turns, doesn't catch or even try to chug at all.

What spark plugs does this 3.4l engine take? Thanks.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:11 PM

Nobody can help out? I bought new plugs and wires, just because it needed it....but I don't know if I got the right spark plugs? Which ones should be used for a 3.4l carb'd engine? I doubt it will fix the start up problem though. Help please!

Old 12-11-2008, 03:19 PM
93fullsize is an unknown quantity at this point

hay vin is on the engin block by oil pain some times hard to find and do you have a hiltons manuel if not you should get one they are only about 10 bucks

Old 12-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 1984 Blazer S10 w/ 3.4l engine Wont Start!

What do you have on it for a carb? This is an interesting problem for anyone other than yourself to diagnose give the fact that very little information on your setup has been posted. You say it is a stock 2BL, but stock for what? Stock for a 1984 2.8L or...? We really need some more information to go on here. Can you post pictures of the carb and any identification that is on it?

Old 12-12-2008, 09:24 AM

I'm 90% sure it's the stock 2 barrel carb from the 2.8l engine....at least it looks like it in my hayne's manual. I know it's hard finding info, that's why I'm trying to find an engine code or vin number! I'll be sure to check on the vin by the oil pan. Is there a good site to plug the engine vin number and see what car it came out of? Thanks again for your help!

Old 12-12-2008, 09:57 AM
cross is an unknown quantity at this point

i do not know if car fax would be abel to do that but they might

Quick Reply: 1984 Blazer S10 w/ 3.4l engine Won't Start!