Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

havin tranny problems and more...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 08:48 PM
shutt218 is on a distinguished road
Default havin tranny problems and more...

I just got my blazer back from havin a motor swap done on it. the old motor had a rod knocking. The guy i had bought the blazer from said he just put a "new" tranny in but didnt specify whether he had it rebuilt, a junkyard tranny, or if a NEW one was put in. During the swap my buddy noticed the tranny had markings on it like it was from the junkyard. But it seems to shift fine and all until yesterday. One of the metal tranny lines under the radiator got puntured some how or rubbed a hole in it from flexing and rubbing on the mount its ran next to. i leaked a bit of fluid since yesterday and i shut it off last night and pulled the dipstick and fluid was startin to spray out the tube. i know it shouldnt do that but idk the cause im no mechanic. Also the heat was working up till around this time as well. And my temp gauge increases steadily and rapidly after starting cold and usually sits 3/4 or inbetween 210 and 260 so i replaced my thermostat and added more antifreeze. still barely any heat. this is my only mode of transportation for the time and im just looking for some pointers as to what i should do to fix these problems.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:22 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

The cooler line can be fixed as easily as a tubing cutter, some fuel line(high pressure would probably be safer), and some hose clamps.

Just cut the line at the hole, slip the hose over it and clamp. There should not be a lot of pressure going through there so that will work fine.

As far as the temp you could take it somewhere and have it checked/flushed, or you can do it yourself.
I've taken the radiator cap off when engine is cold. DO NOT REMOVE CAP IF ENGINE IS HOT! - in case you didn't know. Get you antifreeze and water ready. Turn on heater/fan, start engine. At this point you should be able to see the coolant circulating through the radiator via the open cap. If it looks like it's boiling you may have a blown head gasket.

If the coolant is low again, go ahead and add some until it's about to overflow. As the engine warms up the level will rise so you have to be somewhat quick about all this. If you give it some throttle maybe run it up to 3k rpms a few times, that will help work out any air in the system.
Double check the fluid level and cap the system. It could also be possible that you may need a new cap as well.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:12 AM

thats what we thought bout doin with the hose and clamps for the line
but this morning it wouldnt engage into reverse or drive would this have anything to do with low fluid since its been leaking?

Old 11-15-2010, 06:44 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Yes, I have had mine at least a quart low before. While it drove fine, it would slip when the torque converter would lockup. Anything is possible when the fluid level gets to low. Low fluid level will burn up clutches real quick leaving you with nothing but a transmission that needs rebuilt.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:46 PM

well i went ahead and parked it. while im at school tomorrow my buddy will be coming by to take another look at it and replace the thermostat again too see if the one i just put in is bad... but i was talkin to my cousin about the overheating( or at least thats what my gauge is telling me) who has an s10 and he had a cracked head. now his was only the 2.2 but i figured he would shoot some pointers so he told me to check my oil and if it was i think he said light brown then the antifreeze was getting into the oil and thats why im loosing antifreeze but i was also told that if it was doin that oil would be all up my dipstick which it wasnt. so my dad told me to check the passenger floor board to see if it was wet to see if my heater core is bad since im not getting any heat now but it wasnt. so idk what it could be at this point id hate to put more money into it at this point with winter rolling around the corner and in need of wheels to get to school and work.