Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1996 Blazer Transmission no reverse

Old 11-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Starting Member
bbmyers is on a distinguished road
Default 1996 Blazer Transmission no reverse

Hi all,

Long time lurker and usually found plenty of info so I didn't have to post. But I'm in need of some clarification on some tranny trouble lately.

Wifie went to leave work one day and popped the truck into R, heard some spinning, grinding noise and then had no reverse or 2nd ( i think it was 2nd) gears. From what I gather, this in the sun shell gear.

The Beast SS gear seems to be the way to go when replacing. I'm hoping for a minimal amount of other hard parts, shifts ok otherwise and no bad noises otherwise than what the wife had initially. Can't really want to pour tons of money into the truck. Just patch it up and get a few more miles out of it.

Questions:

1) I've read about people unbolting the body of the truck to get to the top tranny bolts. Not needed correct?

2) It was unclear if the y pipe needs to be removed. I'm thinking a whole other can-o-worms gets opened there getting the y pipe off the manifolds.

3) Remove the tranny with or without the transfer case attached?

4) Opinions on the rebuild DVD as opposed to the ATSG book on this transmission? Are there any online resources someone might have done like a rebuild diary maybe?

5) Best place to get rebuild kit ? transmissionpartsusa.com seems like a good supplier

Any other sage advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
1996 Blazer 4 dr 4wd Vortec 4.3

Old 11-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Spidermonkey is on a distinguished road

Sounds like your Transmission is trashed...Reverse gear usually starts to go before the forward gears start slipping.. I have torn up many transmissions over the years Diesel and Gas trucks.. 4x4 & 2x2.... Had my 1994 GMC Jimmy 4x4 4L60E rebuilt cost me $1,000 nothing special,but it's solid now I could have blown over $2,000 depending on the rebuild kit torque convert and the shop.. just so many ways to rebuild transmissions OMG...In the end it comes down to how much cash you have, and if you want to stay married...IMO Save yourself the Headache time and money.. Take the Transmission to a shop, and have it rebuilt right

Old 12-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Toombes is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem as bbmyers, but fortunately I still have all my forward gears. After looking through most of the threads on the 4L60E, I think I'm sold on the Beast SS kit. It's, technically, my wife's '01 Blaser but I'm nicking it from her after my Sonoma was stolen and trashed. Anyone wanna drop by and help me with a tranny rebuild? There will be plenty of Guiness and pizza...

Old 12-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bbmyers

Questions:

1) I've read about people unbolting the body of the truck to get to the top tranny bolts. Not needed correct?

2) It was unclear if the y pipe needs to be removed. I'm thinking a whole other can-o-worms gets opened there getting the y pipe off the manifolds.

3) Remove the tranny with or without the transfer case attached?
Here's what I can share with you from my experience:

I pulled the transmission from my wife's '93 Jimmy last winter. I didn't jack the body off the frame although I've heard that makes life much easier. I jacked the front of the engine up to tip the entire powertrain down for easier access to the bolts. I put it in the same way.

Remove the Y-pipe. It's in the way of everything if you leave it. Not having it there makes it far easier to get to things like the cooler lines and lower bellhousing bolts.

Take the transfer case off the back of the transmission. It makes removing the transmission much, much easier.

Also, I would have a new transmission mount ready to install. In my experience the transmission mount always has at least one stud broken. It's best to replace it while you have the cross member out of the truck.