Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1997 GMC Jimmy Transmission and 4wd issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Starting Member
fluffydryerlint is on a distinguished road
Default 1997 GMC Jimmy Transmission and 4wd issue

I drive a 1997 GMC Jimmy, with 250k miles (all mine). So, I had to have my transmission rebuilt, and the second time I picked it up (we won't talk about the first time) I drove it for a couple of days, and was leaving an icy parking lot, and put it in 4hi. I had it in gear at the time, but wasn't moving at all, and simply pushed the button. It made a grinding sound, then slammed into 4wd. I dropped it off the next day (again), and was told that I cannot put it into 4hi on the fly, that I shouldn't be doing that at all, that when you have a transmission rebuilt, you shouldn't ever do that again- Given all of the trouble I've had with this highly advertised local transmission shop, I'm not inclined to believe a thing they say- So, I'm asking you all; When I had my transmission rebuilt, did I in fact lose the ability to put into 4hi while vehicle is in gear- let alone moving? I'm not talking about 4lo here, I know I have to be completely stopped and in neutral for that, even my manual says I can go into 4hi safely up to speeds of 45 mph. I really appreciate your answer on this- as I still haven't picked it up from the last time I took it in, I didn't have any trouble with 4wd before the transmission rebuild.

Thanks-
Michelle from Indy

ps. The first time I picked it up, my driveshaft fell out.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:13 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

somebody is blowin' smoke up your backside.

when you pick up your truck, have the desk jockey expalin to you why you're not allowed to do it while moving.

let him finish.

then pull out the owners manual, and politely show him what Ma General has to say on the subject.

is this a Nation wide shop, or just some local monkey with a shop? (and a lot of advertising)

oh yeah, try not to post in bold. makes it a little hard to follow.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Starting Member
fluffydryerlint is on a distinguished road

Sorry about that, it was a copy/paste issue- I won't again. Most people agree with what you said, of all comments I've had, this is the only one that semi-agrees- let me know what you think of this

"yea mostly a load of crap but if your sitting still and shift from 2wd to 4wd high its best to have it in park or neutral. But shifting while on the fly is not a problem. shifting a electronic shift transfer case while sitting still and in gear can cause gear clashing like you had happen."