Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine runs BUT TRANSMISSION ACTS LIKE ITS IN NEAUTRAL

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:52 PM
GMC_Jimmy_13 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Engine runs BUT TRANSMISSION ACTS LIKE ITS IN NEUTRAL

Ok so I go to be pre emptive and change my transmission filter early but ran into some problems....first off i couldnt find a retaining clip to hold the filter up into place. so i had a friend help me hold it and quickly put the pan in place (and im not 100% sure its perfect now). Then after i think i put a lil too much trans fuild in...
So when i started driving it again it started shifting funny and the rpms would rise and fall on the dash between gears. SOOO i bought a syphon and tried to suck some outta the dipstick holder, got some but decided it was taking too long. So i loosned some of the front bolts of the pan, raised up the back and let some drain out.
NOW IT CANT MOVE!! i can move the shifter into all way from park, N, overdrive, drive, 1, and 2 but my jimmy always acts like its neutral....please help i need my truck to run again!

Last edited by GMC_Jimmy_13; 07-06-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is the fluid level proper when running the engine with the transmission in park and the vehicle on a flat, level surface?

The filter is held in place by the seal up in the transmission. There is no retaining clip. You could have possibly not pushed the filter up in properly causing it to fall out.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:39 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds to me like your tranny filter fell out.

Did you remove the old seal before trying to install the new one? Common problem.
Also the new seal should hold the filter in place. If not it will fall into the pan and your tranny wont be able to suck up fluid, thus you wont be able to shift, and it will always act like it is in neutral.

It is better to have too much fluid compared to nto enough fluid. There is a vent tube on top of the tranny, if you have too much fluid it will vent out the top when the tranny gets hot.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:48 PM

ok so that would make sense but in my haynes book it says there is a retaining clip for the filter? this is a 96 jimmy if that makes a difference (haynes seems lame to me but is this right?).
Also yes i did replace the seal if you mean the little ring that goes at the top of the filter tube. It just wont stay up there im not sure what to do.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:50 AM

Ok so you guys were right the filter was not all the way up in there. My mistake was that i let the seal slip down on the neck of the filter. So for anyone reading this looking for answers do this:
Make sure you put the seal up inside FIRST, then slide the filter up in there.
-So anyways my Jimmy runs like its old self again! i'm stoked! thanks people!

Old 07-12-2010, 05:37 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

your welcome, thats what we are here for.