Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1999 Blazer 4.3V6 4WD won't start, electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Dahlin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1999 Blazer 4.3V6 4WD won't start, electrical problem

Hello,

have been reading on this forum now and then but this is my first post.

My background is that I have restored two nice Muscle cars (70 Camaro and 71 Chevelle) and also been a mechanic in a drag Race team with engine responsibility (Mustang running low 9's), so I know my way around tools and cars.
But my wife's car is beyond my capabiliteies and right now, it is parked at my parents home, about 220 km's away.
The car is a 1999 Blazer with 4.3 V6, automatic transmission and 4WD. 130000 km's and in good over all condition, It has had an easy life, not pulling heavy trailers or beeing used off road.
The problem is that we were going to visit my parents and after driving for two hours, we stopped to eat, and after that the damn thing refused to start. The starter turns the engine just fine but it does not fire up.
It has gas, good spark and you can hear the fuel pump when you turn the key.

Here in Sweden, the S10 Blazer is not very common and finding a good mechanic to work on it is really hard, especially since my parents live in a small town.

I have a few questions:
1: Is there a good truble shooting guide somewere that I can print and take with me, I'm going to look at the car in the weekend. What do I check first?
2: The car has a remote key that I need to press before starting the engine, how can I see that the remote is working? The doors unlock but how do I know that the engine is allowed to start? How does this anti theft thing work anyway, kills the
3: Were is the best place to order parts for the Blazer (that ships to sweden)? Parts are super expencive for american cars here.

Any, tips trix and ideas are more than welcome.

Since english isn't my normal language, I hope you forgive me if I sound like a six year old or if my spelling is wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:57 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 1999 Blazer 4.3V6 4WD won't start, electrical problem

Karl, no need to apologize for your English, it's just fine.
Take a look at this article Kyle put together concerning fuel system problems and diagnosis for late model Blazers. When a Blazer has a starting problem, checking the fuel pressure is always a good place to start. You will need to connect a fuel pressure gauge to the schraeder valve on the fuel inlet line on the top of the motor behind the throttle body. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:53 AM
Dahlin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 1999 Blazer 4.3V6 4WD won't start, electrical problem

I had a shop look at the car, there is no codes and it starts on "starter gas" from a spray can.
Fuel pressure is 5 bars at the engine.
They think that it might be the injector, is that common?
Where is the best place to buy one?

Any help is highly appreciated.