Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1999 Chevy Blazer transmission overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 01:07 PM
Starting Member
Radius is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 Chevy Blazer transmission overheating

A couple of days ago, I started experiencing problems with my transmission overheating.

Driving home from work, the engine was making a bubbling noise, and stuttered a little bit, not bad though. I did have to switch into 4 wheel drive just before this happened though. I checked some fluids when I got home (approx 8 min drive) and checked all fluid levels, but when I checked the radiator was high (but the radiator overflow was kinda dirty and on the low side), when I checked the transmission dipstick, as soon as I pulled it out, it started spraying everywhere, I quickly put the dipstick back in.. but since this point the fluids in the dipstick/transmission chamber has remained topped off and basically ready to overheat/spray again.

I checked and can't find any leaks anywhere.

I have not started the truck up since that day (almost 5 days ago) since the fluid will not go back down, and I don't want to risk more permanent damage (more expensive damage)

Any advice or ideas to check that could have caused this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-10-2017, 08:04 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Bad radiator getting coolant in the tranny fluid and making the level go high? I wouldn't think 17psi coolant would force coolant into the tranny cooler against 30+psi transmission line pressure but I think that is the only explanation for tranny to suddenly overflow after gurgling sound from the engine.

I would pull the trans pan before running it any more and see if there is some water mixed in with the trans fluid. It would be milky and/or separating. If so, you still might be able to save your transmission if it is flushed thoroughly to push out all the old fluid - but chances are it would be toast if a bunch of water got in. This one is a head scratcher.

Hopefully you don't have an engine problem where pressure in cooling system is gong excessively high and is the root of the entire problem.

You mentioned that you had it in 4WD right before this happened. Were you driving through high water? If so you might have got water in your trans through the vent. In this case insurance should fix it (flood) if you have full coverage.

Good luck and let us know.

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-10-2017 at 08:18 AM.