Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2000 2DR 4x4 Tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Beginning Member
cody84 is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 2DR 4x4 Tranny problems

Hey, I've done all the searching on here and some repairs. I just want to confirm that my tranny is a rebuild before I spend any more money on this beast.

Truck was stuck in Limp home mode (I'm pretty sure) for a long time.
Had a leak so replaced fluid and filter and seal. There was barely any sediment in the pan and no shavings. That was about a month ago.

Yesterday I finally got my parts in the mail. I replaced the shift solenoids yesterday the ATF was pretty brownish and smelled horribly burnt. Afterward it shifts very weird. 1st and 2nd seem fine, then third will rev way over and when it starts to drop back down it will shift sometimes - is that what slipping is??
Engine light is still on. Do you have to reset anything to turn the engine light off AND make the new electronic part work, or would it just turn off and everything work right away if that was the only problem?

So I'm going to shop around for quotes today to have my clutch packs replaced, does anyone have a rough idea how much this should be? How much if I were to take the tranny in myself (therefore bringing down the labour cost a lot)? If this is going to be over I'd say $700, I'm going to say screw it and lease a new vehicle

Thanks guys! This forum has been my bible for the last couple years...that's prolly a bad sign though really...

Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Kilo is on a distinguished road

well being a transmission guys son here i would say there was a reason for it it to be in safe mode or limp mode as you call that would be the problem to fix i beliece i read it correctly you said that you replaced all the solenoids so i have seen those be bad out of the box check the light and see if it is any dtc for the tranny also the big plug on the side of the tranny case should have 12 volts if not that will kick in safe mode but i dont think thats it but its another option

Old 02-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Beginning Member
cody84 is on a distinguished road

So I called around and one transmission shop told me it sounded like it still might be electrical. Finally got a code reader and I'm getting P0404 EGR code and P1875 4WD-Low circuit. I read on another thread that the TCCM might be telling the tranny that I'm in 4-low and that would cause the tranny to run weird. Does anyone know what SPECIFIC symptoms this would cause? And how to reset the TCCM?

Symptoms: Pretty much only drives in 2nd gear and reverse. When in Drive, there is very low pickup (starting in 2nd?) until I get to 2000 rpm then instead of shifting into third the RPMs just jump up like crazy with no corresponding acceleration.

Reminder, replaced both shift solenoids, changed filter, fluid at correct level and somewhat cloudy, but no actual shavings in pan. Replaced VSS.
Probably not related, but replaced transfer case control switch also 2 weeks ago and now my 4WD works again.

The Truck is at my parents right now or I'd go out and check all the wiring connections, I just want a list of stuff to check when I go there next.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Starting Member
derekbascue@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road

Did Did you ever find out what the problem was?

Old 03-01-2014, 05:53 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

sounds like your 3-4 clutch pack is shot, which, I`m sorry, requires a rebuild