Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2000 2WD Transmission not engaging when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 08:09 AM
BlueRhino is on a distinguished road
Question 2000 2WD Transmission not engaging when cold

Obviously new here, but can't believe I've not found this site sooner. I'm not too shabby under the hood, but know next to nothing about an automatic transmission.

Lately my Blazer has been acting up - when first starting in the morning, with engine cold but not necessarily the weather (I'm in Florida), when shifted into Reverse or Drive, transmission doesn't engage. Press the pedal, engine revs, but goes nowhere. After several attempts at reving the engine (only up to about 2500), letting off, and trying again, car will finally start to slowly roll and then ease up to speed (luckily I have a long driveway to work with). Once I get her rolling, she runs fairly normally for the rest of the day -- never slamming the shifts or anything other than a bit of slipping during the first few minutes of driving.

Anybody have any thoughts on where to start.... like I said, I'm not afraid of getting greasy, but have no clue where to start on a tranny. I did at least pull the dipstick and check the fluid level; it was actually a bit over full. Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

Check the trans fluid level. You do this at operating temperature with the vehicle in neutral. If it is low this will cause this. If you have no noticeable leaks you may want to pull the fill plug on the transfer case. If fluid leaks out from the top plug then the transfer case input seal is bad and that is where the transmission fluid is going, which can also get into all your vacuum line systems. This is a common problem on these trucks. If you have 2 wheel drive still check the trans fluid level and fill appropriately if it is low and start looking for leaks in the lines and cooler at the radiator.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:37 AM
BlueRhino is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Thanks! I think that's it.

Gregg64 - Thanks, you're a genius and I'm a moron!

I had checked the trans fluid, and knew enough to check with the engine running, and it showed just fine on the dipstick. What I didn't do was let the engine come up to temp. Luckily, my phone notified me of your post just as I was pulling into the driveway, so I put on the emergency brake, put the ride in neutral, and checked it again.... not a drop on the dipstick!!!!

Next issue is to find the leak - only small spots on the garage floor; is it possible for trans fluid to be burned in the cylinders (as oil sometimes is with bad gaskets)? Since she's 2WD, don't have a transfer case to check.

At any rate, you've rescued me from the nightmares I was having about having to replace the transmission, or the whole truck (I've kind of grown attached to her). For that I will be forever grateful!

Old 01-28-2015, 06:14 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

Really no way for the trans fluid to get burned in the cylinders, but you do have a leak somewhere by the few drops on the floor so they need to be addressed. you must remember that even a little low on fluid can affect these transmissions so the leaks really need to be found and fixed. Until you do find them just keep an eye on the level and make sure you do not over fill it. This will cause cavitation and foaming which is real bad for the pump and the clutches. Always check hot and in neutral. I like to
run it through the gears with my foot on the brake when I add fluid just to make sure they all engage.