Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2000 4.3 Coolant in Oil -- Intake or Head Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:35 PM
Beginning Member
Josh Smith is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 4.3 Coolant in Oil -- Intake or Head Gasket?

Hello,

It's been a while since I was last here.

My 2000 Blazer suddenly began using antifreeze, a lot of it. I assumed head gasket, got a Felpro head gasket kit, and began tearing into it.

I've been going slowly because I realized I didn't have a manual for this one and ordered a Chilton. I've been taking things off, and checking and cleaning them while waiting for it to arrive.

Tomorrow I start on the lower intake.

Now, here's the thing: From the time I noticed it using coolant, it confused me a little. That's a symptom of a bad head gasket... right? But the truck isn't driving like a head gasket is blown. I mean, all cylinders have good compression, for starters.

Additionally, there is absolutely no water vapor in the exhaust. The rate at which the water level is falling I'd expect at least some to get in the exhaust.

There is, however, lots of water in the oil.

Looking at recall sheets and known design flaws on the internet, I found that these engines tend to blow the intake gasket, and in reality, that's what it's acting like.

I'd really like to get this thing back on the road.

So, I'd like your opinion.

If I discover a blown intake gasket, were it you, would you continue on to the head gaskets in the case something is wrong there? Or, would you assume the problem is solely with the intake gasket and replace it?

The head gaskets look like a pain to get to, and in all the 4.3 motors I've had, I've never had a head gasket go. I'd hate to fix something that's just fine.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you,

Josh

Old 09-11-2015, 12:44 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

it can be just the intake, i bought a 2002 bravada years ago i fixed and sold same issue... the intake gasket was so bad it filled the cylinders full of oil and antifreeze and the motor was actually hydrolocked when i went to start it, luckily the battery was pretty weak and i didnt break anything. had to pull out the spark plugs and crank the heck out of it to blow all that crap out of there.

the entire motor looked like a milkshake and all it was was the lower intake gasket. had to do like 5 oil changes to clear all that crap out of there

[IMG][/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails 2000 4.3 Coolant in Oil -- Intake or Head Gasket?-img00217-1.jpg