Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2000 4.3 Stalling on turns

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Beginning Member
TH2kBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 4.3 Stalling on turns

Hey everyone I have a 2000 Blazer Ls 4x4 2door, With around 188k miles.

I have put in a new engine around 40000 miles ago and it's run great. But recently in the colder (below ~30f degrees) my car has been stalling on right hand turns and as soon as a punch the gas midway through turn it will want to bog out, bounce a little bit then just die.

New tank, ac delco pump, fuel filter, new egr valve have less that 5,000 miles.

When I installed the engine I bought new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and the motor came with an entirely new distributer.

So I'm trying to figure this problem out and I was looking for help on where I should start with diagnosis, I do not have access to a fuel pressure regulater but I do not have any obvious fuel leaks or smells of gas.

Although another(possibly unrelated) is that my car takes a very long time to get to operating temp, and sometimes will not even reach operating temp when it's below 30 out. So maybe a coolant sensor?

Any help or steps in the right direction is very appreciated, thanks guys!

Old 02-11-2015, 06:52 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

That sounds like a possible fuel pick up problem. Who installed the pump? something may have become dislodged. Was the entire assembly replaced or just the pump?

Old 02-12-2015, 08:22 AM
Beginning Member

I installed the pump a few months back with an entire ac delco unit, along with a new tank and repaired rotted lines on the pickup and return lines that sit above the tank. (2door tank placement). Was running great until the cold weather hit Michigan.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:53 PM
Starting Member

Thats really a strange situation to do this only while turning. Possibly some type of loose electrical connection maybe. Did you solder the wires for the fuel pump connections or just use some splices?

Old 02-13-2015, 12:06 AM
Beginning Member

I crimped the connections then wrapped them all individually and together in electrical tape. It's not JUST turning but more prominent when recovering from a turn. It will also want to stall wayyy easier right after a cold start on a cold day. (If) my car reaches full operating temp the problem is almost nonexistent.

Some additional info:
Cars thrown code p0425 since before I bought it and I haven't been able to track that down yet.
And code p0420, but that's almost guaranteed to just be from the fact that I have no cat and it only pops up random.

When I return from Florida I'll try to get ahold of a fuel pressure gauge and check that, although like i have no unreasonably bad gas milage or smell of fuel anywhere since repairing my fuel system. And will run like a new car if a warm day and a warm car.

Could this be maybe symptoms of a bad tps sensor?

Appreciate the reply!

Old 02-16-2015, 07:02 PM
Starting Member

More than likely a symptom of a bad cold air sensor or cold intake sensor. I'm not exactly sure at the moment what it is called but it senses the intake air temp for proper fuel and air mixture into the intake.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:06 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Gregg64
More than likely a symptom of a bad cold air sensor or cold intake sensor. I'm not exactly sure at the moment what it is called but it senses the intake air temp for proper fuel and air mixture into the intake.
would you be talking about the mass air flow? I've recently cleaned it with some maf cleaner bout 100 miles after reoiling the k&n. If someone has some proper resistance ranges for it I'll gladly go check them with a multimeter soon as I return from Florida!

Old 02-18-2015, 06:41 PM
Starting Member

No there is another sensor that measures intake temperature and it tells the ECM how to adjust the fuel\ air mixture. I just cant remember the proper name for it at the moment I'm sure Capt or someone knows for sure what it is.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:51 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Gregg64
No there is another sensor that measures intake temperature and it tells the ECM how to adjust the fuel\ air mixture. I just cant remember the proper name for it at the moment I'm sure Capt or someone knows for sure what it is.
Are u referring to the IAT sensor???

Old 02-19-2015, 02:25 PM
Starting Member

Yes that could be it Intake Air Temp sensor.

Quick Reply: 2000 4.3 Stalling on turns