Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

trans fluid leaking down from vent tube area

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:50 AM
Beginning Member
builder125 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

hey there blazer land,is there anyone out there whos had the same problem?i own a 2000 blazer,4.3 vin-w 4wheel drive-4dr,i had the tranny rebiult by ammco about 55,000 miles ago,and now i have transmition fluid leaking out of the vent tube? atleast i think thats were its comming from,it seams to be leaking out the vent tube and running down the three little hoses onto the resignator (i.e)the exshaust. but the other day after comming off the highway it really started leaking,then i had jiffy lube syphon the fluid and change it and it seamed to stop leaking,then yesterday it started leaking again,this time it seams to be comming from somewhere underneath the distributor cap down the wiring harness that comes from somewhere in the back of the motor, i am stumped!!!!! I love this truck,but have had so much trouble with it. please help. thank you very much in advance. sorry so long of a thread.

Last edited by builder125; 04-24-2011 at 07:33 AM. Reason: delete
Old 03-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your condition could be caused by a faulty seal in the front of the transfer case allowing transmission fluid to push into the transfer case, over filling it to the point of pushing it out of the transfer case vent which runs up to near the transmission dip stick tube.

Pull the fill plug on the back of the transfer case. If fluid pours out, you have found the problem.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:31 AM
Beginning Member
builder125 is on a distinguished road

i will check that out thank you very much,i will also post an update.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Beginning Member
dirty420 is on a distinguished road

ok i think i seem to be having the same problem as you. do you ever see smoke behind you while driving on the free way? i noticed the random clouds smoke first and started looking around and noticed trans fluid all over mostly the pass side , so i went today and bought some degreaser and power washed it all of . i havent noticed where it was leaking from . im going to drive it a lil more tomorrow and see where its leaking from . the strange thing to is it doesnt seem to be low on trans fluid and whats leaking out im pretty sure it is trans fluid leaking out tho

Old 04-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Starting Member
Khaiyote is on a distinguished road

What might happen if the vehicle was continued to be driven while having this problem? Unfortunately I just had $850 dumped into various other things on my blazer, and I am in no big rush to have to sink more into it.

EDIT: After researching more on the forum, I think I found the answer I needed. I think it best just not to drive it and get it in the shop again >.<

Last edited by Khaiyote; 04-02-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Answer found
Old 04-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Beginning Member

idk but i drove mine from columbus ohio to helena montana with it doing it lol

Old 04-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Starting Member
Denominator is on a distinguished road

I drove mine a whole summer with this condition. It won't hurt anything as loong as you keep your transmission fluide level at the correct level.
With my blazer it was the seal between the transfer and transmission. I bought a seal and was almost ready to do the change, but as a last resort I tried out a "seal fixer in a bottle" togheter with a fluide change. To my BIG SURPRISE the fluide leak from the wen't tube stopped, the fluid level in the transfer stayed at the correct level and the problem has now been gone for two years.
In most cases this will not work, but it won't hurt giving it a try, before you start a big job like taking down the transfer case or pay big $$$ to have someone else do it for you.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Beginning Member

so i pulled my transfer case today and ill be putting it back in tomorrow . what is the gasket called that i need to replace between the tc and the transmission?