Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2000 Blazer Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 06:25 PM
Beginning Member
itjsussme is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Blazer Transmission Problems

Sorry if this is a repeat post but I could really find anything with my specific symptoms.

2000 Blazer 4x4 with 125K miles and 6 months ago I had a leak around the transmission pan. I had it serviced. They replaced the fluid and filter and fixed the leak.

Now I have another leak but I'm not sure where it is coming from. Looks like it is near the dipstick tube. It has been doing it for about 2 months but it hasn't leaked more than a full quart in that time.

In the last 3-4 weeks it started surging while driving down the road while maintaining 45mph. It would stop when you let off the gas or accelerated. It did this before when it was leaking the first time but only when the fluid got low (over a quart low). Now it is doing it all the time when the fluid levels are normal.

Now it acts like it is not engaged when you try to accelerate from a stand still. When you press the gas it will slowly start rolling until it finally starts pulling normally. It started a few days ago only when it was cold. Now it does it when it is warm but only from a dead stand still.

The service engine light come on last week as well but I haven't had a chance to have the code checked.

Any ideas? Is my transmission going out you think?

TIA for your replies.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:27 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

How many buttons on the 4WD dash switch, 3 or 4?

Have you removed the transfer case fill plug, (upper plug) and checked the fluid level?

With the engine at normal operating temp, and the vehicle on a level surface, check the transmission fluid level.

Post your results.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:53 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
How many buttons on the 4WD dash switch, 3 or 4?

Have you removed the transfer case fill plug, (upper plug) and checked the fluid level?

With the engine at normal operating temp, and the vehicle on a level surface, check the transmission fluid level.

Post your results.
3 buttons

I don't even know where that is so the answer is no.

The fluid was about a quart low.( guess I shouldn't trust what others tell me)

I would like to add that the slow starts didn't happen every time you started from a stand still. Maybe it was from the fluid being low? Since topping it off I have not been able to duplicate the slow starts but I do still have the surging at 45mph.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:56 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

One problem at a time

Low transmission fluid level will cause a hesitation from stops and erratic shifting. Both shifting into a gear, and shift points while driving will be affected. One quart low is substantial. Are there any external fluid leaks from the transmission? If not, it may have not been filled to the correct level the last time it was serviced, or, it may be leaking into the transfer case. On the rear of the transfer case there are two plugs:

Remove the fill plug, if fluid runs out, it's overfull. The excess fluid came from the transmission. The transmission and the NV233 transfer case use the same type of fluid, (Dexron VI). When transmission fluid migrates to the transfer case, the case must be removed to repair the problem.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Blazer Transmission Problems-nv233%2520fill%2520amp%2520drain%2520plugs%2520amp%2520id%2520tag_zpsfyk18lcp.png  
Old 01-31-2015, 05:55 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the info.

I had the oil changed last week and asked them to make sure they the transmission fluid was full but I guess they didn't.

There is an external leak and it looks like it is coming from or somewhere near the dipstick tube.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:39 PM

The transfer case vent line is zip tied near the top of the transmission dipstick tube, with a filter on the end. Very possible for fluid to spew out there if the transfer case is overfull.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:11 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Sounds like it could also be starting in 2nd gear. Might want to pursue that investigation as well.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:05 PM
Beginning Member

Great info guys. I will do more investigating and see if I can tell where the fluid is coming from.