Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Busted Governor gear????? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Beginning Member
blazeric is on a distinguished road
Default Busted Governor gear????? Help!!

91 S-10 Blazer 4x4 4.3 V6
Rebuilt 700r4 tranny with 26k

Driving to lunch today , took off from light and tranny would not shift out of first gear. Fluid level -check ok, Tv cable and position check ok . I dropped the pan and found some what of a dirty filter with blue pieces of plastic in it and the pan. Is this the plastic gear on the governor? if so, where is it and how can I change it? I know it is a $20 part but I do not want to have to pay a mechanic to change it if I can . Any ideas and opinions greatly appreciated!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Beginning Member

I guess I'll check back tomorrow. Calling it a night. Any info would be nice.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Um... OK...

Not shifting out of 1st gear is a clear sign of a stripped governor gear.

The governor is located behind a cover on the driver side of the transmission main case before the tail shaft mounting surface. The cover can be removed using a screw driver.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Beginning Member

I removed the cover and could not pull the governor completely out because of some sort of shift linkage. ARRRGGGHHHH!!!! Damn thing is in the way. IT extends from tranny to transfer case. Here is a pic. The illuminated object in the pic is blocking the governor . What do I do?

Attached Thumbnails Busted Governor gear????? Help!!-image_150.jpg  

Last edited by blazeric; 03-17-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the linkage for your transfer case shifter. You may have to remove it to then remove the governor, but first try disconnecting the shift rod and rotating it up and out of your way.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Beginning Member

I've tried removing the shift rod. Still not enough clearance. Guess i'll have to remove the entire linkage. Do i do this by removing the nut next to the grease fitting?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Administrator

If I remember correctly, that is a bolt that has a grease passage in it. And yes, you just remove that and move the linkage out of the way.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks alot Swartkll. Now just gotta find a wrench. Also found my Haynes Manual to help me out as well. I will post my results. Hopefully this will take care of my problem.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Beginning Member

OK! I got the governor out and sure enough the gear is stripped.Thanks for all your help. Heading out to parts store. Hopefully someone will have this part locally. Seen them online for $20. Thanks again!

Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 AM
Beginning Member
Default Update!!

I found the governor I needed locally for $10. Bought extra gear for a buck.
Re-installed part,replaced filter and fluid and WA-LA. Back in action!! Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Busted Governor gear????? Help!!