Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2001 Blazer Transmission Shifting/Slippage

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 11:38 AM
ricks is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Blazer Transmission Shifting/Slippage

The rebuilt Jasper 4WD transmission installed around 2010 has started slipping (maybe) when trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd above 35 MPH. If I ease up on the gas after the rpms go above 3000, it seems to lock and I can accelerate on up to 65 mph. Also, the gear indicator light that lights up behind the letter D goes out above 1000 rpm, then comes back on when rpm drops. For a long time, the ABS and check brake lights have been intermittently lit. And, finally, my instrument cluster lights are intermittent. Any hope that it might be sensors? Midas immediately jumped to the tranny replacement.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:04 PM
Beginning Member
Ryan Johnson is on a distinguished road

Were the sensors replaced when the tranny was ? Many times. They won't put new sensors in when a rebuilt is installed.
If they were replaced. How does the map control sensor check out ? What about main computer ?

Do you have a short somewhere ?

Is tranny still under warranty ? If so. And under warranty. Hay let them replace it. Maybe they know more about the rebuild issues. If someone else put it in. Then wonder why midas didn't check sensors or did they

Old 08-16-2014, 03:46 PM

Don't know for sure, but I don't think the sensors were replaced. When I got under the hood, I found the air filter disconnected from the mass airflow sensor tube. Plus the radiator hose clamp was loose, antifreeze squirting. Reconnected and tightened everything, then initially the shifting seemed normal. But after warming up, the problem started again.

As old as the vehicle is, and all the interconnected electrical wiring, I'm concerned about rusty ground connections.

None of the control modules (PCM, ECM) were replaced.

I checked the Jasper website, it says one year or 100,000 miles, so I think I'm past the warranty period.

It's at Midas now for a drain, flush, and filter cleaning. Then Monday, I'll probably take it to a nearby Jasper dealer, if I don't have any other success.

Don't know if Midas read the tranny codes, they are supposed to be done with it by now. I better call them.

In the meantime, I'll be driving my 1984 Pontiac J2000 Sunbird Turbo....

Last edited by ricks; 08-16-2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer a question.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:47 PM

UPDATE: The drain and flush made things a little better, no slippage, but the technician found particles and signs of burnt fluid on the filter. Took it to a local small garage (Thomas and Sons Automotive Repair) who says it needs a new transmission, and the major contributing factor causing the failure was a bad PRNDL switch. From the moment I got it from Springdale Automotive after the first tranny replacement, there was a, maybe, 10 second delay between the time you put it in drive, and the Drive indicator light came on, or after I started to move. Can anybody tell me why a bad PRNDL switch would destroy the transmission?

I told them to proceed with removal and replacement with another Jasper transmission, plus a transmission fluid cooler. Total cost around $3500. Ow, ow, ow!

Old 09-12-2014, 12:21 AM
Tranzman is on a distinguished road

Did the delay happen only to the light or was it a delay in the actual engagement of the transmission into gear?

The selector rod connects or is a direct link between the gear shift linkage, the PRNDL switch and the manual valve in the transmission. All of these working at the same time. The PRNDL switch or the neutral/backup light switch is electrical and has nothing to do with the internals of the transmission. The manual valve directs fluid to different hydraulic circuits. 3 separate things happening at the same time. To add to all of the confusion of these 3 things. There is a manual valve switch/sensor inside of the transmission to tell the computer what gear you have selected. A different and entirely separate set of electrical circuits from the PRNDL circuits. So as a long time transmission builder, I don't buy the PRNDL switch causing the failure of the transmission.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:34 AM

I think it was only to the light, because I could immediately start driving. Right after getting the Blazer back, I hooked up my 16 foot trailer to go to my farm. Not heavily loaded, plywood and 11 bundles of shingles. Last steep hill on the trip, I couldn't make it up and over. Worried, but took it back and they couldn't find anything. Seems to be doing okay.