Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2002 4.3 fuel press reg location

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 07:46 PM
fletch125 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2002 4.3 fuel press reg location

Anyone have an idea where this thing is at can't find it on any diagrams. And whats the best way to replace it?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is located inside the intake plenum on the back of the main body of the fuel injection spider.

What are your symptoms and/or test results that have you looking at replacing the regulator? The SCFI/MFI regulators rarely go bad.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:01 PM

I have an intermittent start and stall issue. Fuel pump/filter are newer so I'm replacing everything I can think of. Replacing the IAC and TPS because they were a little dirty last time I cleaned the throttle body. I don't have and check engine codes so its really hard to tell. Can pick up the sensors cheap so I'm just seeing what works. Its a random start and stall @idle that goes away after a few mins.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If your truck still has an EGR valve, I would remove and clean it. I can't recall off the top of my head when the EGR valve went away, but it was sometime around '02.

Other than that, any further speculation should be backed up by testing, specifically testing the fuel pressure and leak down if a fuel delivery problem is suspected.

Also, cheap sensors often live up to the old saying, "You get what you pay for". You may end up replacing a perfectly good sensor with an aftermarket dud and not know it until you dump a bunch more money into other things.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:15 PM

I didn't buy Chinese ones lol. I did a pressure and leak down test and everything came back to be OK. I have an EGR code and an 02 sensor code but theyve been there forever.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:18 PM

Im convinced that it isn't a fuel delivery issue because like I said the problem goes away if you give it more throttle. If it was a bad pump or something it would happen more often and get worse with acceleration.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:59 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

You say the fuel pressure readings are ok, do you know that they are supposed to be? Did you do the max pump pressure test? Sounds to me like a spider assembly issue more than anything else and just because its an 02 doesn't mean it came with the MPI upgrade. Mine didn't. I replaced my spider with the upgrade and it cured all those types of problems. Maybe Capt Hook can answer this but i dont think the regulator is replaceable alone on these units but i'm not sure. I wasnt taking any chances if I was taking the plenum off I was replacing the entire assembly with the upgrade not just the regulator anyway.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:11 PM
Administrator

The regulator can be replaced independent of the spider, but if the fuel pressure readings are OK as stated, then the regulator is working properly.