Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2002 Blazer banging noise when disengaging from 4wd hi to 2 wd

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 06:04 AM
Starting Member
Bono4783 is on a distinguished road
Default 2002 Blazer banging noise when disengaging from 4wd hi to 2 wd

I have a 2002 S10 Blazer (3 Button).It shift into 4wd fine but when I go to put it back into 2 wheel there is a delay, sometime several miles and the a loud bang like someone hit the bottom of the vehicle with a hammer. I have changed out the vacuum front axle actuator (under the battery) and I am in the process of changing the Front Axle Actuator Solenoid Valve. Am I replacing the right items and is there anything else that I need to look at?

Old 02-04-2014, 06:59 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

when i bought mine it did the same thing. i dont even notice it now. i have talked to other people on the forum about it and they say that it is normal. i know that you mean though, it doesnt sound normal or "feel" normal, but thats just what they do i guess. i wouldnt worry about it, i know that i dont.

i have to crawl a curb in front of my house every other day or so and i use 4wd to do it just to keep everything moving from time to time. if i do it in the evening and then move the truck the next day, there is no sound at all. but if i do go up the curb and then back down without turning the truck off, it will make the banging noise then. i dont know what it is, but everyone has told me that theirs does it as well.

Last edited by Twip; 02-04-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Starting Member
Default Really?

TWIP are you kidding me? It's normal? I've had this Blazer for eight years and it didn't make or have these issues and you say it's normal.....thanks for the help!

Old 02-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to tone down your responses or you may find yourself without any further ones. You are the one here asking us to take time to respond to your questions/concerns. It's best to be humble when asking strangers for assistance.

What Twip has stated is true. There often is an associated clunk felt or heard when disengaging the 4wd, but it depends on the situation and all things considered. Perhaps yours is much more pronounced at this very instance than what many of us have experienced and had previously gone unnoticed until recently, but it doesn't change the fact that more often than not, there is a clunk that can be felt and/or heard.

Tire size, pressure, and even having tires of the same size, but from different manufacturers installed can all impact how much of a clunk there is when disengaging the 4wd system. It can also be influenced by whether or not you are turning, even slightly. The type of surface you are on can impact it to a much greater extent given one of the aforementioned items is slightly off or occurring. Even minute rotational differences in the drivetrain can cause tension on the front axle slip clutch which can then cause an associated clunk when it disengages.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Starting Member

I appreciate your response but as I stated in my original post it is a loud bang and not a clunk. I think that was very clear and to say that it is normal is not a correct statement.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Bang to some is a clunk to others. What has been stated by others in this thread is not cause for your responses which will only serve to hinder your position here. Good luck with your issues.