Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2005 Jimmy Spark Plug Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Starting Member
quickcurrent is on a distinguished road
Default 2005 Jimmy Spark Plug Replacement

Hi,

I was trying to replace the plugs on my 2005 Jimmy, but wasn't able to get at two of them. One on the driver's side behind the steering column, the other on the passenger side partially behind the strut. Is there some trick to replace these plugs? Special tool, etc. or only by removal of obstacles?

By the way, I had the last set (Bosch Platinum 4) changed at a garage and they have been less than spectacular. The vehicle was due for a change of rotor, distributor cap and ignition wires, so I did that to try to resolve a misfire of cylinder 4 at highway speeds, but the misfire continued. I picked up a set of NGK Iridium IX plugs and replaced the number 4 plug; the misfire stopped. Then I started replacing the rest of them but these two are giving me grief!

quickcurrent

Old 10-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Old Skool Soldier is on a distinguished road

I have an '05 as well. I jacked the front end up to stretch out the suspension. I accessed the plugs through the wheel wells, makes it easy. For the plug under the steering column, simply unbolt the steering shaft and slide it up, and you'll have your access point. I was reluctant at first to do that, but its honestly a joke lol

-OSS

Old 10-26-2014, 05:48 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I never install anything but AC Delco plugs in a GM
If it left the factory with that , its good enough for me

I think I used a plug socket with a wrench on it to get that one behind the steering shaft
Who ever OK'd the clearances for plug change should be bitch slapped every time anyone sees him

Old 10-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Beginning Member
abarone7411 is on a distinguished road

Yeah I just did it. I removed it with the smallest 5/8ths / 16mm socket I could find. I used this one I found at auto zone that had a rubber plug older inside it. The magnetic one was too big. Then I bought a u-joint and an 18inch extension bar. I tried the 10 inch too, but I felt like I got better leverage to get up in there with the 18. Jacked the car up as high as it would go. Slipped the u-joint around to where it needed to be and ratcheted that puppy off there. Then to put them back in I actually took the rubber socket and put the new plug in it. Then just threaded it in there with the socket on it as far as I could. Once I was sure I had it threaded in enough. I got some rubber gloves with plenty of grip and yanked the socket off. I then reattached the u joint and extension bar and tightened it up.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:22 PM
Beginning Member

But yeah reach through the wheel wells and the u joint will work. I couldn't even find enough room to fit a wrench in there or I would've

Old 10-27-2014, 08:27 AM
Starting Member

Thank you for all the replies.

Obviously I get in to all the plugs through the wheel wells.

I have seen a Youtube video showing a flexible joint to get at the plug behind the strut on the passenger side. I was actually able to loosen that one with a socket and ratchet with no extension but then re-tightened thinking I would not be able to line up the new one since it's so hard to get at. I'll have to get a flexible joint for that one.

I have also read about the removal of the steering shaft to get at the one on the driver's side behind the steering column, but can't see any bolts to remove. Old School Soldier, where is the bolt on the steering column located? Do you get access to that from the bottom or from the top?

TIA

Old 10-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Beginning Member

I personally wouldn't bother removing that shaft. You can slip the u joint right in there. Then just thread the plug in with the socket on it. Makes it quicker and easier. At least it did for me.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Starting Member

I took the vehicle to my mechanic and watched him do the two plugs. The one behind the steering column required the removal of the entire air filter housing, a shield over the steering column, a bolt on the steering column and the prying upwards of the steering column with a 4-foot screwdriver/bar, then removal and replacement of the plug from the top with next to no space to get at it since it was still behind the strut. Wow, where did GM get their designers from? I miss the design that incorporated the plugs with super easy reach from the top and took 20 minutes or less to replace them all!

Old 11-04-2014, 11:20 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

The only one on mine that's any trouble is #3. (Middle driver side) The cover for the steering column was mostly all cracked and gone any way, and it only took a minute to disconnect the shaft and it lifts right up out of the way.

Nothing on the passenger side seemed too difficult. I guess since mine is 4wd, there's no strut or whatever in the way?

After changing plugs on a FWD V-6, the blazer is a walk in the park!

Old 07-14-2015, 05:24 PM
James Knight is on a distinguished road

I jacked the engine up just enough to get the plug out. Mounts stretched and not damaged. Put a short piece of 2x6 between the jack and oil pan, jack slowly and stop when you got just enough clearance.

Quick Reply: 2005 Jimmy Spark Plug Replacement