Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4.3L Freeze Plug Locations

Old 09-18-2007, 12:16 PM
babyblueblaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4.3L Freeze Plug Locations

Hi all, did a search and didn't find too much info...Just got my blazer on Friday (inherited it from my grandfather) its a '95 LS 2wd 4dr with 61,000 miles (looks & drives like new!). Only issue with the blaze is a small coolant leak on the right (passenger) side of the block...nothing major, it leaks just about a saucer full overnight.

Anyway, as I began tracing the leak, I consulted the forums and found that most leaks are often associated with either the intake manifold gaskets or a freeze plug. I was able to inspect the manifold gaskets and they look good. The coolant is dripping on to the crossmember from the pass. side motor mount, so I instantly thought that it might be a head gasket; but the oil is in perfect shape, the radiator doesn't bubble while running, and there's no smoke during starting, idle, or WOT.

The only thing that I can figure out is that it must be leaking from one of the freeze plugs on the side of the block (if I understand the layout of the 4.3 correctly, there should be two per side). Changing this thing looks to be a chore...I'm planning on pulling the wheel/tire, removing the inner fender liner, taking off the exhaust manifold/heat sheild, and trying to replace it without pulling the motor.

Does anyone know if this is possible, or does the motor mount block access to the freeze plug?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 09-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4.3L Freeze Plug Locations

My post in the linked to thread below shows a picture of the driver's side freeze plugs:
which engine heater? radiator or plug?

The passenger side is practically identical. Yes, both engine mounts will have to be removed if you need to change out the freeze plugs.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:17 PM
babyblueblaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 4.3L Freeze Plug Locations

Great illustration...that helps. This thing's going to be a pain to change out...do you think I can jack the motor up high enough to pound the new one in?

Thanks

Old 10-19-2007, 05:07 PM
ShadowHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 4.3L Freeze Plug Leaking

I've got an almost identical issue with mine. ('95 S10 Blazer LS, 2WD, 4-Door, 4.3L engine). It's leaking coolant from both sides' freeze-plugs. I've been contemplating using a chemical additive - temporarily - just to try to seal the plugs untile I can get them replaced. Any suggestions?

A salesperson at AutoZone mentioned that the freeze-plug could be replaced with a rubber "bung" that has a compression type screw on it to make it enlarge when it's screwed into the freeze-plug hole.. and he says tha what many folks use to replace the freeze-plugs. Izzat so? Seems kind of an "iffy" fix.. but if it works...

So - The engine has to be pulled for this? Arrgh...

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rex S.
Richardson, Texas