Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4L60E or 700R4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:13 PM
hubbmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4L60E or 700R4?

I'm looking into a tranny swap for my 96 and was wondering... How strong is the 4L60E? I can get a 700R4 for fairly cheap from a friend and if it's an up grade than i'm all game, but if not i'll look for an oem replace.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:52 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: 4L60E or 700R4?

I thought they were the same short of the 4l60 being electronically controlled...hence the 'E'.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, they are essentially the same transmission aside from the valve body and controls. The clutches and other related hard parts are pretty much the same. There have been improvements done though that are also backwards compatible with the 700R4.

Just for a bit of history, the 700R4 was renamed the 4L60 to keep with GMs new transmission nomenclature. 4 == four forward gears, L == longitudinal, 60 == torque rating (not really any solid information to state its stock limitations, but some information can be found on the net). The "E" came in 1993 with the TV cable being replaced by electronic controls.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Yep, they are essentially the same transmission aside from the valve body and controls. The clutches and other related hard parts are pretty much the same. There have been improvements done though that are also backwards compatible with the 700R4.

Just for a bit of history, the 700R4 was renamed the 4L60 to keep with GMs new transmission nomenclature. 4 == four forward gears, L == longitudinal, 60 == torque rating (not really any solid information to state its stock limitations, but some information can be found on the net). The "E" came in 1993 with the TV cable being replaced by electronic controls.
Funny you mention that Kyle, I was just reading another trans thread when I started thinking about the trans in my B-ville. Blazer=4L60E
B-ville=4T60E
T=transaxle.[sm=interesting.gif]

Old 01-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

T = transverse to keep with the theme of engine orientation. Transaxle does describe it pretty good as well.

Almost all FWD applications have a transverse mount. I say almost because there are a few that do not, Dodge Intrepid for instance. And almost all RWD applications have a longitudinal mount engine unless you are talking about vehicles like the Fiero which basically had a FWD drivetrain in the back.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:16 AM
hubbmatt is an unknown quantity at this point

OH, so the 4L60E is actually an upgraded version of the 700R4. I didn't know any of that other stuff too! I'll just stick with what i got now. On a scale from 1-10 how hard would you rate a rebuild on the 4L60E (just keep in mind i've never even seen the inside of a tranny up close before )?

Old 01-16-2009, 06:45 AM
Administrator

I would put a rebuild of an automatic transmission at a 10, especially for the first time (maybe that should be a 12 for the first time). There are a lot of little things that can cause a rebuild to go wrong. Many of them will not hurt anything except your pride and time table... Sucks pulling a transmission out after you realize that it does not work only to find out that a check ball was not in the proper position and that you could have just pulled the valve body out...

If you are thinking about it, the first purchase I would make is the ATSG manuals (both the original 4L60E manual and the update manual). I have both and they are a wealth of information.

I need to get the ones for the TH350, TH400, and 700R4 as I have all of these transmissions either under the barn, in my vehicles, or the possibility of obtaining one for use in my vehicles.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:06 PM
JTECK is an unknown quantity at this point

4L60E's are not an easy install for with a truck that dose not have a computerized enigne nor a computer that was ment to work with that tranny.

I would go with the TH200R4 or the TH400 or the TH700. However there are more parts that are made to replace weak stock parts for the TH200r4 trannys and the th400 trannys.

Keep in mind 2 factors to remember and to think about:

1) what is you main use going to be for your truck when done?
2) do you want 3 gears or 4 gears and over drive?

the TH200R4 is a grate tranny. It is a 4 speed tranny with manual over drive... so you will have 1,2,3,4(OD) Note will need to hook up a switch so you can lock the converter up while on the high way or you can buy a comuter that dose it automaticly for fairy cheap price.... But remeber with this tranny you will be able to drive down the road doing 100KM or 60 - 70 MPH in overdrive with 3.73 gears running at about 1,500 - 1,800 RPM's! while a th400 - th700 will make you run at 2,000 - 2,500 RPM at highway speeds... which will cost alot more in gas!

so think about things before you jump the gun and buy something that may how suit your needs as much as a different tranny.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:25 PM
JTECK is an unknown quantity at this point

READ my other posts... I made another post to someone else about the 4l60E trannys and what parts to have installed into it to make it almost bomb proof!

Old 01-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Just a point of clarification here. The TH700-R4 is a 4 speed overdrive transmission which was intended to be a bit stronger than the TH200-R4. The aftermarket has proved otherwise though. The TH700-R4 was the predecessor to the 4L60 and later, the 4L60E.

The TH350 and TH400 are the older, 3 speed transmissions. The TH400 being stronger, stock vs. stock.

Quick Reply: 4L60E or 700R4?