Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4L60E/700R4 things I've learned

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 03:06 PM
AHellem is on a distinguished road
Default 4l60e to 700r4 swap

i have a 94 blazer s10 4x4 4,3l with the tbi engine,,, my 4l60e tranny has been feiling for a while now and i'm going to replace it with a 700r4 in better condition witch i took from a donor car.

i wonder what i have to swap from the 92" s10 donor car other than the wire from the tbi to the tranny and the thing on the tbi that the wire is connected to,,,

i think i saw a electrical plug on the 700r4 with 4 wires approxmatly 8 inches behind the shift lever on the left side of the transmission witch i couldnt find on the 4l60e,,

is this swap possible without many problems? i dont want to start rebuilding the 4l60e,, expencive!

Old 01-04-2014, 03:01 AM
c-mags is on a distinguished road

"Problem: 1-2 Shift shudder at WOT delayed or abnormal 1-2 shift There's a problem only on the 1-2 shift
Symptoms: 1-2 accumulator piston cracked or stuck cocked in the bore.
Possible repair
: Check the yellow spring inside the accum housing for breakage. Also, if the accumulator housing walls are scored, the housing must be replaced. Easy fix in the pan."
I'm having this problem but I just wanted to make absolutely certain that the accumulator piston is the problem. will this cause the trans fluid to read way over the fill mark on the dipstick when its cold and then normally when hot? I recently replaced a leaky fuel pressure regulator and that fixed the shifting issue for a week then it came back. If you can help me confirm that this is the issue that would be much appreciated.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Orangeblood is on a distinguished road

Had to join seeing this is probably the only active trans thread on the internet.

I have an 88 Chevy C1500, it's got a 5.7 that was installed after the 305 went out, 350 has approx 150K miles on it, the trans was rebuilt approx 70K miles ago.
Over spring break I replaced the trans filter and topped it back off with fresh Dex/Merc mix(couldn't find Dex 3 by itself). Checked the fluid several times and it looks to be full(checked it hot and cold).

My issue is I'm not reaching OD. It will want to shift into 4th on the highway but then downshifts back into 3rd. I was thinking the TV cable may have come out of adjustment? I only assume so as I had to raise the back of the trans to get the pan off to change the filter. I'm hoping this won't end up in a trans rebuild as this truck isn't worth very much. I'd love it to get me by for another year. All other gears seem to work flawless.

Thanks in advance for the advice, and OP if you are still a member here, great write up!

Old 03-30-2014, 05:19 AM
Starting Member
cubawashere is on a distinguished road

did you have this issue prior to your filter and fluid change? Or did you change it because you had the issue first and thought it would help?

Old 03-31-2014, 08:21 AM

Hello Thanks for the follow up.

The issue happened after the trans fluid and filter change. I actually got it resolved. I went back and retraced all my steps, and even after I had previously checked the trans fluid level twice, I found it was low. I purchased more fluid and got it topped off correctly this time. The trans is working great again.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:39 PM
Starting Member

lol...Well heck! At least it was an easy fix and spent only minimal time and cash correcting the issue. Thanks for at least posting the update too.... it very well may help some other member in the future!

Old 04-01-2014, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by cubawashere
lol...Well heck! At least it was an easy fix and spent only minimal time and cash correcting the issue. Thanks for at least posting the update too.... it very well may help some other member in the future!
Not a problem! I was racking my brain and the internet for a week straight. I am fortunate enough to have a second vehicle so I could park the truck and mostly drive it for testing(after attempting tuning/repairs). I was pretty dissappointed to not find more details regarding this trans, there are TONS of dead threads with laundry lists of symptoms and no resolutions. I was very happy to find this thread, it is extremely informative and bookmarked for future reference.

If it does help anyone, I just want to point out a few small details that I myself was not privy to. I am no expert or mechanic, I just love tinkering with things I'm passionate about(don't ask me about my bike, I won't stop typing). My truck is technically a beater, however, I like to maintain it as best I can.

This is all from only changing the trans filter and adding new fluid. For starters, I was told by a great mentor of mine whom is also a mechanic to only use Dexron III. I could not source Dexron III locally and found Castrol Dex/Merc mix. The bottle stated for use in GM vehicles with Automatics before 2005. It's in my trans now and working just fine. I also only picked up 5 quarts as I was under the impression I would only drain approx 5 out.

The trans can be checked hot, which I myself did not know. When you pull the Trans dip stick out it will have indicators for HOT and COLD, I assumed HOT when you just finished driving and turned the vehicle off. I filled mine cold, then assumed it heated up properly. This is actually where my mistake came into play. You can check the trans fluid with the vehicle running. I always checked it cold and (assumed) warm/hot. The day I discovered it was low, was the third time I checked it. So check it OFTEN, even if you are positive it's full, check it again. I checked it on different days/occasions and it lied to me it was full. This was after putting 5 quarts back into it after the filter change.

Once I discovered it was low, I still do not follow an accurate procedure, because sometimes doing things the hard way is just a tad more fun. I picked up another gallon of Castrol Dex/Merc mix. I used approx half with a goofy procedure I came up. I would start my truck, get it up to temp, kill it. Check the fluid level and add a little at a time. Start it up, and shift through the gears in my driveway assuming I am moving fluid this way in the trans without causing too much harm(because I still was not certain that I fried the 4th gear clutch). I did this about five or six times before finally maintaining a consistent full indication on the trans fluid level. All in all I put a little over 7 quarts into the trans. What did not help me realize how much came out were several factors. A few weeks earlier I replaced the Vehcile Speed Sensor and I lost a little fluid, no where near a quart but enough that warranted concern to drain and change the filter. I actually replaced the Core support on my truck while all this started, so I drained the trans cooler in the process as well as the radiator. I also already had oil in my 14 quart drain pan so once I drained the trans I did not get a good indication of how much came out. All mistakes I have learned from, and to be honest, should have known better at my age!

Hope this info helps anyone who is going through what I experienced.

PS. On a side note, my Mentor lives in PA, I am located in Texas. We've met on an MC forum and traded information and became great friends. We only communicate via email, so he wasn't there in person to smack me in the head for my mistakes. Still trying to convince him to move to TX our roads are better :-P

Last edited by Orangeblood; 04-01-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Starting Member

@Orangeblood...
ah...see that's where you came from. Glad to see such passionate DIYers! Always check trans fluid level with vehicle running. The cold and hot level refer to oil temp for example: First thing in the morning and vehicle hasn't been driven yet.... start it up and check level at the COLD level on the stick..... If you've been driving around all day and want to check the level, park the vehicle and leave run for a few minutes to let the fluid drain back down the dipstick tube, keep vehicle running and now refer to the HOT level on the stick -the latter procedure is also the more accurate reading.

You managed to do it on your own (with the help of your buddy online in PA) though which says a lot in itself. Keep up that mentality of wanting to DIY! I swear it keeps us young too...motivates us to continue to move and rewards us with a great feeling of accomplishment when you do succeed! God bless!

Old 04-02-2014, 08:47 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Orangeblood
Thanks in advance for the advice, and OP if you are still a member here, great write up!
Still on here. Been stuck researching the slow 2-3 shift on 700r4. Supposedly there is a Sonnax valve that will help. So far the trans doesn't start shifting smooth until 3000rpm. But it has a fairly radical shift kit. That's as high as I have the engine tuned so I can't give it full power yet. Gotta see how it holds up to 400hp.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:44 PM
joey connors is on a distinguished road

Hey there. New to the forum. Today after driving the wife to work and on my way home, I stopped at a red light and when it turned green I went to go and realized that I had lost ALL gears including reverse. It happened so suddenly that I think it has to be electrical. There were no noises or issues before this. It's a '99 Blazer Ls 2door 4.3 4x4 with the 4L60e. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 4L60E/700R4 things I've learned