Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4L60E Drive has no power, must manually shift, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 01:52 PM
The Rolling Turd is on a distinguished road
Default 4L60E Drive has no power, must manually shift, ideas?

Hi I have a 1998 blazer 4x4. It has the 4L60E transmission with 99,000 miles on it. I noticed some tranny fluid in the cap of the radiator. So I replaced the radiator did a flush on the cooling system, and I did a pump down on the transmission.

When I was all done I went to drive out of my garage and Reverse seems to be fine while drive is an absolute dog, I have to rev it to 4k before it starts to move. It drove into the garage fine before I did this work.

If I manually shift it 1,2,3, D I can get around (ok). But it still doesn't really feel right that way.

I dropped the pan again and replaced the fluid that was there with 2 containers of Lucas transmission fix, to try and save my tranny while I drive around manually.

I replaced the seal on the filter and made sure it was in tight last night, still doesn't shift right.

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-Dan

Old 11-04-2011, 11:12 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

are you sure its shifting through all 4 gears. alot of times these transmissions go into limp mode which makes the transmission start in 2nd gear. search limp mode on this site, this issue has been brought up a few times. happened to my truck a few months back, nothing like trying to spin big tires while in 2nd gear

Old 11-06-2011, 02:43 PM

So I looked on here and alot of the answers for limp mode also had to do with spedometer problems as well. My spedo works fine my truck is just a dog right now.

I checked it and it seems to never hit 1st gear. I put it in 3 and acts like it is stuck in 3 same with drive, when I put it in 2 I can then manually bring it to 3 when i get going. Never seems to shift while in 2.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:52 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by The Rolling Turd
I checked it and it seems to never hit 1st gear. I put it in 3 and acts like it is stuck in 3 same with drive, when I put it in 2 I can then manually bring it to 3 when i get going. Never seems to shift while in 2.
Yep. Prolly starts in 2 then. And sure wont shift out of 2, that's a feature.
There's several 4L60 write ups on DIY. Take a look.
Have the codes pulled. List all of them and dont leave any out. And dont let the AZ guy decide what's important and what's not.

Last edited by pettyfog; 11-06-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Talking

Thanks, I didnt think of looking under DIY, i just did a "search".

I went to autozone (I call them the boneheads), they said that their equipment cannot scan transmissions, so im gunna go to a transmission shop later that does free diagnostics and see if they can fetch all the codes.

Btw petty, im a ford guy too. My 3 season car is a 1996 mustang GT converted to a cobra clone. The blazer just has winter duty. These GM's confuse me =p

Old 11-06-2011, 05:37 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by The Rolling Turd
...so im gunna go to a transmission shop later that does free diagnostics and see if they can fetch all the codes.
See, there's all sorts of ways...

Btw petty, im a ford guy too. My 3 season car is a 1996 mustang GT converted to a cobra clone. The blazer just has winter duty. These GM's confuse me =p
"But they're so purty!" Really. Some uvvem.

We dont have no sweat driving a Chebby no more. The Bowtie v Blue Oval wars is over and done.
Was done the first hick stuck that 'pissing on Blue Oval' decal in the rear window of his rusty old C-10.

BTW: Speaking of embarrassing stuff.. did you check the fuse? IP 'clstr' fuse 11, 10A

Attached Thumbnails 4L60E Drive has no power, must manually shift, ideas?-shift_sols.gif  

Last edited by pettyfog; 11-06-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:57 PM

Where is that CLSTR fuse? is it in the fuse box in the motor compartment, or somewhere in the interior?

Right now I am out at college while my dad is back home messing with my truck and several other cars, so I cant exactly look for the fuse myself right now.
If I can tell him to look at a certain fuse I can prob distract him from his projects for a minute.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Its in the IP fuse block as the wiring diagram shows. IP == Instrument Panel. This fuse block is located behind a small cover off the driver side end of the dash.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:07 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

your truck is a little newer then mine but mine was blowing the ign/gau fuse causing it to do this. basically what i found my problem was that the computer was not sending a ground signal to the solenoids to go down to first gear. why? i never figured out. bad computer im guessing but since my truck is strictly offroad and i never had a vss hooked up. i just grounded the solenoids on a relay and got first gear back

Old 11-15-2011, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the location of the IP stuff. I took the cover off and the fuses are fine. However i think the previous owner had a remote starter hooked up cuz the chip is down there Aerostar I think. The wires seem to go everywhere so that might be part of my problem.

Big84 i'll also look into that next time im home, I really do not care if I have a speedo or not, my mustang says im going 150mph in second gear so im used to it