Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4L60E transmission doesn't seem to shift out of 2nd

Old 03-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Beginning Member
4thgenceli is on a distinguished road

Just need to bounce some thoughts off some gearheads that know this thing inside & out (at least more than I do heh).

From what I've gathered and found, I have the 4L60E transmission ('94 s10 blazer 'w' 4.3l CPI). This trans is electronically controlled (no kickdown vacuum, etc). It decides when to shift based upon the vehicle speed; fed by the vehicle speed sensor on the transmission. If the PCM receives no data from the VSS, the speedometer will not register any speeds and the ABS will not function (throwing an ABS light but no SES light).

With me so far? Am I correct in my knowledge/findings?

Anyway, here's whats going on. My truck's (94 s10 'w' blazer) speedometer, odometer, and trip odometer are not functioning. Additionally, the ABS light is lit. There is no SES light, just the ABS. When driving, it doesn't seem to shift out of 2nd gear (into 'D' or 'OD', etc). Reverse is fine, and if I mash the gas it downshifts into 1st without a problem. I don't really feel the shift from 1st --> 2nd when starting from a stop, and doing 40-50 it's pretty wound up (RPM). If I let off the gas and get back in it the trans doesn't upshift (to 3rd/etc). It just feels like it's always in 2nd gear. Fuses are OK (no blown ones, just a burned out taillight that blew the taillight fuse). I checked the trans fluid when I bought it it was nice & red. I don't know if it has a burnt smell or not, I'll have to drive it and then check. The trans fluid level is within spec as well

So...

Cliffs:
4.3l 4x4 '94 S10 blazer 'W' motor
feels like it's not getting out of 2nd gear
speedo, odo, trip odo not functioning
ABS light on
SES light NOT on
no blown fuses

All of this is pointing me towards either the VSS is malfunctioning or the wires to it are not connected/destroyed/something is wrong. Am I barking up the right tree here?

Further reading on This Thread on Impalassforum.com is leading me to think that I am currently in Limp mode, and have some electrical issue with the trans (vss, etc).

I haven't checked underhood fuses yet, but that is on the list. Underhood fuses and the wiring to the VSS. :fingers crossed:

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-02-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the VSS is not working, then it should be stuck in 1st. But I would get the VSS sorted first and go from there.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Beginning Member

I'm not sure if it's in 1st or second. I goto D or OD and it drives. Takes off a bit slow, but if I mash the gas it downshifts into 1st. It's too dark to make any sense right now of anything (damn my 8-5 work schedule). I'll have to tear into it Saturday.

Hopefully it's just a case of rats got to more of the wiring.....

Old 03-02-2011, 09:32 PM
litterbug will become famous soon enough

try flooring it from the start. if the engine goes loud then not as loud or you can feel the kick into second. that would indicate that you are going into second.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Beginning Member

Which I did, and it does that. Cruising about 25mph mashing the gas the engine RPM kicks up and then down when I let off the gas (shifting down to 1st and back to 2nd). That's as far as it gets shifting wise.

I'm still hopeful its the VSS wiring causing all this problem. I'll know more Saturday when I have time to roll under there.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Starting Member
lionel2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having the same problems, no speedometer, trip odometer, and car does not shift into 2nd gear. How did you fix your problem?? What was wrong with the car? Thanks.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by lionel2
How did you fix your problem??
I sold it.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Starting Member
slwilliams67 is on a distinguished road

I was wondering if you found any answers to your trans issues? I've got almost the same problem - won't shift from 2-3 - either manually or automatically. Let me know if you have any links that are useful. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:18 PM
veteranschoolboy is on a distinguished road

I too have the same problem, won't shift out of 2nd and the speedo is dead. The Fuse was blown the fuse called BRAKE. I replaced the fuse and drove slow, the fuse held, the speedo worked and the transmission shift right, until I got rolling about 35mph and pushed hard on the BRAKES. Fuse popped. No speedo and it quit shifting. Replaced the speed sensor checked the front brave wires to the speed sensors , resistance was normal. NOW with the wires removed (unplugged) from the ABS system under the hood has a new transmission speed sensor, when the key is just turned forword the fuse pops, HELP!

Last edited by veteranschoolboy; 03-24-2011 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Put in a speed sensor and a new fuse, now the fus pops as soon as the key in turned forword.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

And you are driving??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4L60E transmission doesn't seem to shift out of 2nd