Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4L60E transmission doesn't seem to shift out of 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:46 PM
veteranschoolboy is on a distinguished road
Default 1st gen. Blazer "94 no third gear or OD, Speedometer Quit,

No I'm not driving.I put in a new VSS and a fresh fuse in the fuse block called Brake. Still nothing Not sure how to run the wire from the VSS (check it for breaks) I lose the wire at he top of the bell housing where the lead goes into a larger covered harness. While checking the wire I found two places the wires had the coating chewed off, small spots that have bright copper shining through. The fuse pops as soon as I turn the key forward. I understand the short could be on any of the system dedicated to that fuse. Yesterday the fuse lasted untill I hit the brakes hard going about 30mph, I heard the fuse pop, at the same time the speedometer stopped working and I no long had Drive or overdrive. I was told when the anti lock system kicks in , the system draws a lot of power, As the System send more power, the power finds a crack in the wire or an opening mouse bites in the wire coating, and shorts out. So I am looking for more animal bites, in the wires, and I am putting liquid tape on the opening. I have no Idea how to get the lead to the VSS, out from between the block and the fire wall. If I understand right I can go to the PCM for the speed sensor and the wires will be the same color, so I put a lead on both ends of the same wire. I can Test for oms but not Continuity, I have no idea where to place the leads. not Is it really a direct short one test them for resistance.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That was more a question of what the subject vehicle is...

The BRAKE fuse powers the ABS relay, digital cluster (if equiped), vehicle speed sensor buffer, TCC brake switch, and the antilock controller unit. If this fuse is blowing, you must determine the cause. It could be something with the ABS system or could be pretty much any one of the other items on the circuit.

Attached Thumbnails 4L60E transmission doesn't seem to shift out of 2nd-94_pwr_dist_2of3.gif