Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

compression and/or leak down test - take it to a shop or diy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Starting Member
kerander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default compression and/or leak down test - take it to a shop or diy?

I think I've got a blown head gasket because the engine overheated due to a bad radiator leak. There's coolant in the oil, but only slightly (I could only tell by adding some dye to the coolant; it wasn't milky). A compression and a leak down test seems like the next logical step, but I don't know if I should buy the stuff to do it myself or not. Most people are quoting me about 80 - 120 to do it, and that seems pretty expensive to me, but I'm no expert. Is it pretty easy to do yourself?

Old 02-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: compression and/or leak down test - take it to a shop or diy?

A compression test would tell you if it is a head gasket or an intake gasket failure. This is something you can do in your garage. The leak down test will require an air compressor and is used for checking ring and valve seal and really isn't necessary for your problem.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:07 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

To do a compression test you would first have to remove the spark plugs. Then when the plugs are out you could have someone crank the engine over and watch for any coolant coming out of the cylinders. You may actually find one or two spark plugs that are coolant soaked when you remove them.
I'd recommend a DIY compression test and save a few bucks.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the info guys.

Ok, I got a compression gauge set. Will the correct pressure(s) be listed in a haynes manual or do either of you know about what they should be?

Also, how long should I crank it in order to get a correct reading? I saw on a website that the piston in the cylinder should create compression between 5 and 10 times, but I'm not sure what that equates to when you're using the starter (or even if that's correct).

Finally, how do I do the driver's side middle plug? Just remove the steering shaft?

Old 02-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With the plugs out and the compression gauge connected, cycle the starter for about 2-3 seconds. That should give you a good reading.

About the pressure your engine should produce... Well now that is a very difficult one to answer. Every engine is different. What I can say is it should be over 100PSI and all cylinders should be within +/-10PSI of each other. Write them all down and let us know.

As far as the #3 cylinder, yep, gotta disconnect the steering shaft to do a compression check. THIS thread will help with steering shaft. Don't mind the author... LOL

Old 02-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Starting Member

Fortunately,I managed to squeeze the rubber hose around the steering shaft to avoid removing it, which was good, but it took a while. Here are the readings:

REAR

PS 161170 DS
160 170

FRONT

These seem to be ok according to your +-10 psi provision. The pressures held steady on all of them. Is the absolute pressure ok?

I also found some ash deposit on the rearmost PS plug and a little on the middle PS one, so maybe the valve guide seals are going bad (?). There also was a little bit of oil on them. I got a pic, but I'm not at home (borrowing a friend's garage) so I can't load them. What do you think?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Those numbers look quite healthy. I wouldn't worry about the stagger as that is normal. Your engine is actually +/-5PSI from the average. You definitely do not have a blown headgasket with pressures like that.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:49 AM
Starting Member

Sounds good. Thanks for your help.