Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > Engine & Transmission
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Starting Member

helo is on a distinguished road
Default 700r4 only shifts at redline (high RPM)

I pulled the governor out and it appears good. Where are the accumulator springs located? I guess I might need to buy a tranny book...

Full size truck (350 w/ 700r4 tranny). 1st->2nd and 2nd->3rd will only shift at very high RPM regardless of how much throttle I give it. (~30mph, ~45mph). Bought the vehicle like this last week... drove it home 1500 miles.

3rd->4th (OD) seems to work alright sometimes with light throttle, other times it's a high shift as well (65mph)

Next up is dropping the tranny pan, but I'm not really sure what I'm going to be looking for.

Local tranny shop wouldn't even quote me a price and seemed to be fishing for a $1000+ "complete overhaul" Bulls**t, it'd be great if it just shifted like it should at minimal throttle.

Any quick advice before I look for a 700r4 book? Book recommendations? =)
Old 10-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Beginning Member
1977 Chevrolet Blazer
My Garage

tmedley is on a distinguished road

My suggestion would be look at the tv cable and valve as well, might be stuck.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Starting Member

helo is on a distinguished road

Forgot to mention the TVC. On the TB end, it seems to be adjusted properly (that was the FIRST thing I checked). I'm wondering if perhaps there is a problem with the TV link inside the tranny.

The other day, I had a tranny cooler hose come apart and it shifted smooth from 1-2 at ~12mph (shortly after the hose came off the aftermarket cooler, but before I stopped moving) [I had bought this truck 4 days prior]

Tomorrow I guess I'll drop the pan and have a look. I'll be flushing the old ATF out of the cooler lines when I reassemble (it's nearly black).

No PDF documents or book recommendations? I haven't found much technical literature.

(similar, but not a 700r4) 4l60E Rebuild

Edit: decent page 700r4 tech info
Edit #2: pictorial GM 700R4 Transmission Upgrade Shift Kit (<--good)

Last edited by helo; 10-07-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: additional link
Old 10-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Administrator
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
My Garage

swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to swartlkk Send a message via AIM to swartlkk

The ATSG manuals for the 700R4 are the best you will find.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Beginning Member
1977 Chevrolet Blazer
My Garage

tmedley is on a distinguished road

My guess is if the fluid is that dark then something in the throttle valve passage is stuck. You may have to drop the valve body and clean the valves.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 42157027.gif (21.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: gif 42157028.gif (95.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Beginning Member

6.2 man is on a distinguished road

govenor . Pull it and make sure the gear is not apple cored or stripped . I suspect it's bad ?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:38 PM

Closed Thread

Tags
1994, 2005, 30mph, 700, 700r4, blazer, chevy, high, r4, rpm, rpms, shift, shifts, tahoe, tranny, transmission