Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > Engine & Transmission
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Beginning Member
1996 Dodge Ram 1500
My Garage

chevyguy4lyfe is on a distinguished road
Default '92 Blazer 4.3 floods and wont start.

I just got a '92 blazer and it will not start. Pulled plugs and they are soaked with fuel. Its also getting spark but will not start. I removed the intake plenum and do not see any leaks. Pulled the poppet valves out and they seem to be functioning properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Starting Member
1997 Chevrolet Blazer

billbobagns is on a distinguished road
billbobagns billbobagns billbobagns

disconnect fuel pump fuse and relay. Get a can of starter fluid. Crank, with no fuel pump for a min or two. No matter how flooded it is, it should dry out with no fuel pump. A shot or two from the starter fluid might help.

Once you get it dry, it will start and run with B12 or Starter fluid, but do this only for a few seconds to make sure it's no longer flooded.

Next, hook fuel pump back up and try again.

Note; Anytime you are working with fuel, keep an appropriate fire extinguisher handy and be alert of fire danger!

BTW, are you sure it's a 92? I thought they were TBI.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:08 PM

Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbobagns View Post

'92 was the first year for the CPI option.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Beginning Member
1996 Dodge Ram 1500
My Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbobagns View Post
disconnect fuel pump fuse and relay. Get a can of starter fluid. Crank, with no fuel pump for a min or two. No matter how flooded it is, it should dry out with no fuel pump. A shot or two from the starter fluid might help.

Once you get it dry, it will start and run with B12 or Starter fluid, but do this only for a few seconds to make sure it's no longer flooded.

Next, hook fuel pump back up and try again.

Note; Anytime you are working with fuel, keep an appropriate fire extinguisher handy and be alert of fire danger!

The thing about it is even if i let it sit and dry out as soon as i crank it over, about 10 seconds, it floods out again. I didn't see any clean spots or any other signs of leaks other than just a little bit of fuel in the bottom of the intake.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Beginning Member
1996 Dodge Ram 1500
My Garage

While i was out in the garage i looked again and there is a clean spot right under the "nut kit" where it looks like fuel was leaking but cant find a leak. I can tell the previous owner had the intake off so they may have fixed the leak? I would upload pics but am not sure how to.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:31 PM

Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you checked for spark at the plugs?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Beginning Member
1996 Dodge Ram 1500
My Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeann_Bravada View Post
Have you checked for spark at the plugs?
Yup, its getting good spark. It just floods as soon as i crank it over. This ones really stumping me.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Starting Member

JustJerry is on a distinguished road

My 92 S10 with the W engine got so that it would flood. I could hold the accelerator pedal to the floor and it would start.

Leaking nut kit fixed that problem.

I might add, when engine was cold it would start OK, but after driving to Walmart which is about a 10 mile drive and parking it for about 15 to 30 minutes, when starting it would flood.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:52 AM
Beginning Member
1996 Dodge Ram 1500
My Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJerry View Post
My 92 S10 with the W engine got so that it would flood. I could hold the accelerator pedal to the floor and it would start.

Leaking nut kit fixed that problem.

I might add, when engine was cold it would start OK, but after driving to Walmart which is about a 10 mile drive and parking it for about 15 to 30 minutes, when starting it would flood.
nothing in the intake seems to be leaking but there is a clean spot under the nut kit. i am going to go back out today and try and track down a leak somewhere.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Beginning Member
1996 Dodge Ram 1500
My Garage

Well i still couldnt find any leaks today, i put the intake back together. It still floods but now if i hold the pedal down it kind of pops like it wants to fire up but still wont fire. I removed the intake afterwards and there is no fuel in the intake. Going away for the weekend, hopefully when i get back someone will have something for me so i can have a vehicle again.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:48 PM

Closed Thread

Tags
2000, 43, 92, blazer, chevrolet, chevy, clean, fire, flooding, floods, fuel, intake, spot, start, wont