Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

95 Blazer crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 02:41 PM
bdeturck13 is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Blazer crossmember

I have 2 95 blazers, one is a parts vehicle (2 door LS) and the other is a 4 door 4wd... I transferred the tranny from the 2 door to the 4 door about a year ago, and all went well, until I took it in for inspection this year... the tranny crossmember from the 4 door is rotting out from the underside. I figured the 2 door x-member would fit, but came to find out that even though the cross plate is the same, the mount plate on the 4 door is at the top of the crossmember, whereas the 2 door, the tranny mount position is at the bottom. I've been roaming thru junkyards and on ebay, and all I find are the crossmembers with the tranny mount low (even on other 4 door LS). Is there something I'm missing? Why is mine different?

Old 04-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Beginning Member
Gambit66 is on a distinguished road

Because the one you are driving and fixing is a 4x4. Have to find another 4x4 to get the same mounting cross member

Old 04-03-2015, 04:32 PM

i guess i should have been more specific.... both blazers are 4x4.... the only thing i know is the 2 door sat a little higher than the 4 door version.... neither is a zx2... but both identical year, and both push button 4wd... every blazer i've seen in the salvage yard has the low slung mount, and i need the high slung... i can only figure that this 4 door might have a lowered stock suspension? although i wasn't aware of any ride height changes during that year

Old 04-03-2015, 04:34 PM
Beginning Member

Guess I needed to be specific too, you need to find a 4 door 4x4. 4 door models are a lot longer than the 2 door

Old 04-03-2015, 04:39 PM

that's the problem.... every blazer in the salvage yard, whether they're 2 door, or 4 door (all 4wd) have the low slung mount... mine seems to be retarded and has some strange high mount version.... i'm almost tempted to get a low mount, cut the mount off and weld it on backwards, if i knew i could get it to support the weight that way, but I'd have to fab up some bracketry for it.... I don't understand why I can't find another blazer/jimmy/bravada that has that same mount... even the s10 pickups and sonomas have the low slung mount

Old 04-03-2015, 04:46 PM
Beginning Member

Just took a look at mine, and it also is a low cross member bracket for the tranny.. modified or ZR2 for yours maybe. A lot of different cross members come up when you search that year and model, and add ZR2 to the search

Old 04-03-2015, 04:47 PM

here's a link to the bracket off the 2 door.... if you look at the mount location in the center of the bracket, it's slung low.... my 4 door is slung high where the mount point is the same height at the top of the member

Transmission Mount Crossmember Chevy Blazer GMC Jimmy Oldsmobile Bravada 4x4 | eBay

Old 04-03-2015, 04:54 PM
Beginning Member

Do you have a picture of your old one that fits?

Old 04-03-2015, 04:58 PM

unfortunately not at the moment.... it's at the inspection garage waiting a new brace.... I ordered one thru a junkyard and specified exactly what I was looking for, so hopefully they find it. If i get the correct one, I'll post a picture of it, otherwise I'll head to the garage and send a pic of the one that's on mine. I just find it odd, especially because both of these blazers are equipped with the exact same engine/tranny/4wd setup but they're apparently mounted slightly different

Old 04-04-2015, 05:16 PM

Quick Reply: 95 Blazer crossmember