Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

95 Blazer shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 01:47 PM
ronmunch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 95 Blazer shifting issues

I recently purchased a 1995 Blazer 4x4. The guy I got it from said it had tranny problems, and when I test drove it. I could tell it was in 4 LO. I purchased it at a really good price thinking all I needed to change was the dash switch or the tranfer case encoder motor. I did these 2 and it is now in 2WD but will not go back to 4wd at all. The truck also shifts through the gears quickly and at low rpm and most of the time seems to actually be between gears or like it is in 2 gears at once. If I manually shift it from Low through the gears it acts normal and seems to go into overdrive fine, but at certian cruising speeds it seems to kick in and out of overdrive or locks and unlocks the converter rapidly. I see it has a reman trans in it and the fluid is red and dosn't smell bad. Any basic troubleshooting areas to check before I break down and take to an ASE shop?
I have been told there were problems with the drive train control module or some sort of ground problems with these vehicles, but I am not sure were to look
Thanks for any help that can be provided

Also, I adjusted the cable to the trans a couple of different times, and it seemed to make no difference

Old 08-14-2007, 09:55 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 95 Blazer shifting issues

Welcome to the site.

Couple things that concern me.
1) you shouldn't have a cable to adjust the tranny shift points, a tv cable. '92 was the last year of the 700R4/4L60 tv cable controlled trannies. '93 installed 4L60E (electronically shifted) trannies in all auto S10-Blazers.
2) If you do have a 700R4/4L60 tranny, did someone modify the puter?
3) Since it has a remain tranny installed, verify that the wiring is not pinched between the bellhousing and the engine. Easy to do, especially since the wiring runs over the tranny.
4) Yes, there are some issues with ground shorts. GM runs power to all sensors and grounds the sensor in the puter. This way it can read the amount of voltage change and thus read the sensor. If a wire is shorting out it could casue false readings and lead to erratic performace.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:10 PM

The cable I was refering to was the shift cable from the column. I thought it might not be allowing the detent to move into the chosen gear. Was not trying to adjust the shift points. Thanks for the input on the pinched wires. Anyone elsr with any suggestions? There seems to be a good amount of trouble shooting info on this sight

Old 09-18-2007, 01:44 PM

Here is an update. I finally got around to working on this Blazer again. I had convinced myself to just take it to a shop, but the muffler was bad so I replaced it. Since then the trans shifts like normal and everything works great. Anyone know what might have caused this? I am not complaining, just curious. Does the exhaust back pressure make a big difference?
Thanks

Old 09-18-2007, 02:58 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously, the gremlin that was messing with your trans was living inside the old muffler.