Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

97 blazer no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:48 AM
4.3vortec is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 97 blazer no start

Hi everyone, i want to start off by saying my sister has a 1997 blazer 4x4 with 268K (the engine was rebuilt and has only about 30K on it) on it and it wont start, she said she went out to start it one morning and it would fire like its trying to start, but it wouldn't start. it would only fire. now i'm not anywhere near the truck (i'm in Mississippi and shes in Michigan) but, i need to know what would cause this issue, it has a new battery, dis. cap, plugs, wires, and a MAP sensor. its getting fuel (has 62 psi) and its got spark, what would you guys check on it? her boyfriend has tried spraying starting fluid in it and it wont start still. just fires.

now my 02 blazer did that and it was flooded, so, i would think her's is flooded too. i'm thinking her spider injectors are bad and leaking a crap ton of fuel into the engine and flooding it out, because it ran perfect and started perfect uptill a few days ago. it just wouldn't start. now, it has done this before and we let it sit for a week and it started right up and ran fine uptill now. it wont do anything and it has been broken down for about 2 weeks now. she has a 5 year old kid and i would like to do anything to help her. **keep in mind im not near her!! shes in Michigan and im in Mississippi!!*** im only trying to get ideas on what would cause this issue with her truck as she needs it fixed and running.

what do you guys think would be a cause of this issue? her boyfriend has smarts when it comes to cars, so he can replace any parts, we just need to know where to head in this direction.

sorry for the long thread, i just need help. haha. thanks for looking/any help!!!!

Joshua

Old 04-14-2014, 10:50 AM

oh, she said right before this happened she started it in her driveway (same morning) it started and it had a hard start and when it did start it died then it wouldn't start (see above for information)

Old 04-15-2014, 09:10 AM
Beginning Member
BlazerHeadaches is on a distinguished road

Hey man I too have a 97 blazer that was giving me same issues. Sometimes would crank and fire sometimes just crank. This year blazer had some issues with the ignition switch causing crazy problems. If I would cycle my key a couple times before trying to start it would be fine. Replaced ignition switch and turns over every time now!! I'm no mechanic and I too turn to this site for help. Give it a try and see what happens. Best of luck
Shane

Old 04-15-2014, 09:22 PM
Starting Member
cubawashere is on a distinguished road

Could very well be spider injectors or related in that system but without fuel pressure testing, both are just playing guessing games. To OP, what would finding out what kind of issues it can be? Can sis test anything or either way have to take it to the shop?

Same with BlazerHeadaches (BH), do you have fuel pressure gauge at least?

To both of you...when you guys say "fire", do you mean spark? How did you test for it? Or guessing that too?

Old 04-16-2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by cubawashere
Could very well be spider injectors or related in that system but without fuel pressure testing, both are just playing guessing games. To OP, what would finding out what kind of issues it can be? Can sis test anything or either way have to take it to the shop?

Same with BlazerHeadaches (BH), do you have fuel pressure gauge at least?

To both of you...when you guys say "fire", do you mean spark? How did you test for it? Or guessing that too?
when i say fire i ment it kicked and tried to start, now it does nothing. still cranks over, but still wont start. but the crank sensor was replaced and my sisters boyfriend said when he pulled the crank sensor out about 16 oz of raw fuel came out and there is raw fuel in the exhaust. what would cause that? A really bad spider? or just from cranking it trying to start it so much? and the engine light was ran and it came back with a code for a crank sensor and a MAP sensor, that's why they were replaced. the MAP sensor literary fell apart when he removed it so that defiantly was bad.

but it still wont start, does he have to do a crank sensor re-learn or something? i know on the new GM cars you have, so im not sure about this one. What do you guys think????? she said she just gonna scrap it and go buy a new one soon because they have spent almost 500$ to make it run and it still wont start.
anothier thing is i miss-said something in the thread, the dis. rotor was NOT replaced. but it did in fact look good. would it cause this?
again, thanks for the help!!

josh.
p.s the fuel pressure was tested and it has 61lbs and holds it for 35 minuets.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 4.3vortec
but it still wont start, does he have to do a crank sensor re-learn or something? i know on the new GM cars you have, so im not sure about this one.

they have spent almost 500$ to make it run and it still wont start.
p.s the fuel pressure was tested and it has 61lbs and holds it for 35 minuets.

Ok, yes, as far as this yr 03, the crankshaft sensor has a relearn procedure done through the scanner.... since that's the case, try unplugging battery for 1/2 hr, to see if PCM can reset itself. Does BF have use of a scanner, even a basic one to view live data? Just to check readings from a few sensors, and temp as seen by PCM.

So he check fuel pressure and it was good at that psi. Tell him to leave that gauge connected while he continues diagnosing.

Was spark checked for on every plug end? Besides just looking at cap rotor. I did read spark was checked but I don't know how or to what extent. If BF checks for spark and has it now (on every point/cyl), that means Crank sensor is working. Obviously there is fuel, if it poured out....Also when and IF they do get it running, be sure to do oil change before taking out to drive. Oil must have fuel in it too...doesn't need to be changed yet, since it's still not running.

I would also suggest to revert back to the basics, recheck all fuses with a meter only, not by eye.

Last edited by cubawashere; 04-16-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:32 PM

all fuses are good, the crank sensor tested good (engine off and while cranking) but, it started ran perfect he shut it off and tried to restart it and a no go. it wouldn't even fire (try to start) all it would do it crank. it smells like fuel badly. (can even get some leaking out of cat) what would make it do this? a bad fuel regulator or a bad spider? and he doesn't have a code reader, but when he had one on it it gave a code for a 02 sensor, crank sensor, and a MAP sensor. the MAP sensor fell apart when he replaced it, and the crank sensor has been replaced. im thinking its in the fuel injectors/regulator, because like i said earlier, when he replaced the crank sensor about 17 OZ of raw fuel cam poring out.

Last edited by 4.3vortec; 04-18-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:23 PM
Starting Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 4.3vortec
all it would do it crank. it smells like fuel badly. (can even get some leaking out of cat) what would make it do this? a bad fuel regulator or a bad spider? and he doesn't have a code reader, but when he had one on it it gave a code for a 02 sensor, crank sensor, and a MAP sensor. the MAP sensor fell apart when he replaced it, and the crank sensor has been replaced. im thinking its in the fuel injectors/regulator, because like i said earlier, when he replaced the crank sensor about 17 OZ of raw fuel cam poring out.

YES!, I think you are right on the money with the spider injectors and related. When doing this job, make sure to replace o-rings and plenum gasket/seal.... It should be the culprit though, from what you've described. You did good for your sis and hopefully saved her money (instead of her getting another vehicle and having payments or back to square 1).

Keep us posted! I want to know how it all turns out and possibly this thread will help others with similar issues!

Old 04-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Beginning Member
sputtle is on a distinguished road

This sounds like a text book fuel regular problem. It's not putting enough fuel into the cylinders and instead shooting it all over inside your intake. Since this is about as messy as a fuel delivery system can get, that's why it will sometimes start. I just had a problem like this that I was able to get solved for $50 by buying a new regulator from rockauto.com