Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

resetting timing

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 02:44 PM
Starting Member
hoebob69 is on a distinguished road
Default resetting timing

Had to replace the pickup coil today and I think I may have gotten the timing off in the process. Can someone please help me with the easiest way to reset it? Ive been Google for a while and cant seem to find anything that specific.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:02 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

What year & engine? I see an 89 in your garage but just making sure, and need to know what engine.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:13 PM
Starting Member

Yes sir its a 1989 with 4.3 tbi.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:49 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

On the passenger side, under the dash, behind the top edge of the carpet, (above where the passengers feet would be), there is a single wire (tan with a black trace wire, if I remember right) with a black connector. Unplug the connector and set the ignition timing. Re connect after the timing is set. This wire carries the modified spark timing signal to the ignition module from the VCM. When it is disconnected, the VCM can't apply ignition advance, and base timing can be adjusted.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:54 PM
Starting Member

Well do I have to take the distributer back out to reset the timing or is there an easier way? Ive never really messed with timing before.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:19 PM

That depends, does the engine start and run now?

Old 02-14-2015, 08:24 PM
Starting Member

No,and hasnt fired off in a month,but thats a whole different story

Old 02-14-2015, 08:55 PM

Why do you think the timing is off?

Old 02-14-2015, 09:07 PM
Starting Member

Because I took the distributer out to replace the pickup coil. After reassembling the distributer and putting it back in the button wouldn't match back up with the mark I made before removing it. So I bumped the ignition a few times to get the gear to go in right. Now im not getting fire from the cap. Had fire before so I'm assuming the timing is off

Old 02-14-2015, 09:15 PM
Starting Member

Basically I fully restored this blazer,I've had it 12 years now and parked it and tore it down basically and built it back up two years ago slowly. Finally around September I got it to the point I could start driving it again. It ran great for a month then one day in the middle of town it struggled to start,was jerking and sputtering,didnt want to react to the gas pedal. After a few miles it backfired and wouldnt start. Long story short after a couple days of scratching my head I checked ignition control module and it was the culprit. Swapped it and it ran great for a week then the exact same symptoms reaccured. Naturally I swapped the control module again because it was exactly the same conditions but it was still good. So after testing everything I figured it had to be the pick up coil. But the odd thing about the whole situation is I've been told by numerous people that when a control module goes the cap won't throw fire and the injectors wont spray,same with pick up coil,but mine has had fire and gas both times up until today

Quick Reply: resetting timing