Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98 bravada passlock re-learn problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Beginning Member
slappymcnasty is on a distinguished road
Default 98 bravada passlock re-learn problem

back story: 1998 oldsmobile bravada 4.3
1. bought it from a older mexican family on 01/30/13.
2. ran fine, no check engine light for a week or so (maybe 30 miles).
3. took it to the dmv for registration and they told me it needs a smog.
4. took it directly to my local smog place (maybe 9 miles apart), ran fine, about 10 seconds from test completion the check engine light came on, test failed. threw a code p0304 (#4 cylinder) and p0300 (random misfire)
5. replaced rotor - rotor cap - gas cap (all chevy dealer items) and ac delco plugs and wires.
6. drove it on freeway about 65mph to "break-in" the new items before 2nd smog attempt, about 40 miles until it felt like i hit a dog (started to bog/idle way off, pulled off freeway and died. started up but barely made it home.
7. grabbed my buddies scan tool, codes p0300 (random misfire), cleared it, then p0304 (#4 cylinder), cleared it, then p0305 (#5 cylinder), cleared it, p0300 (random misfire).
8. ive read probably 40 threads on multiple forums reguarding the "dreaded" p0300 code and all items that could cause this.

thus far i have replaced the following items:

rotor / cap - gas cap, plugs, wires, alternator, battery, all 3 oxygen sensors, pcv valve, new flashed ecu computer, fuel filter, crank sensor AND AWAITING Pickup Coil / Ignition Coil, distributer, spider injector are being shipped to me.

i just attempted the PASSLOCK RE-LEARN 4 times in a row (pausing 10 minutes between each) w/ no success.
starts and runs 2-3 seconds then dies like 1,000's of other peoples attempts.

my questions would be:
1. would me "over riding" the headlights (pushing the round button on the headlight switch panel 4 times) while running the passlock re-learn cause the attempt to fail?

2. should i disconnect the battery between attempts?

3. would any of the previous parts i installed cause the passlock to not take?

4. anyone have any other ideas/kind words i could try?

Old 02-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Beginning Member

well, low and behold i recieved my distributer today, billet aluminum shaft, new gear, camshaft sensor....... the works. installed it and its a "tighter" fit inside the dist. hole, less play for sure but still no luck w/ the passlock re-learn. have tried it 7 times

(1--Ensure that the battery is fully charged.

2--Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the CRANK position, and then to the RUN position. The vehicle will start and then stall.
3--Leave the ignition ON until the security telltale turns OFF in 10 minutes.
4--Repeat Steps 2-4 for 2 more times (3 times total)

(waiting for the next step..........)

5--The Passlock™ controller will learn the new data on the next start attempt.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

You can always try a passlock bypass. I did it in my grand am cost me about $1 for a 5 pack of resistors from radio shack.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Beginning Member

thank you for the idea BLAZIN00LT......... i will definately check into this!!!

so i have learned this......... the "CASE relearn" cannot be done until i get it running. i have replaced the cam sensor and the crank sensor and since the new computer was installed, it wont run,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, once again im stuck

Old 02-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Beginning Member

ok, ive tried the passlock re-learn 9 times now, "10 mins on, 10 seconds off, 10 mins on, 10 seconds off, 10 mins on, 10 seconds off = "30 min learn" and still nothing changed. i have read a few variable passlock re-learns im going to try tomorrow

Old 02-13-2013, 01:04 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Below is a link I don't know if you've seen yet. There are a couple of tiny differences between this and what you posted. Only other thing I could offer...I don't know if you have "AAA" or some other roadside assistance service or not, but I do know that AAA has had my car towed from my house to a service center before for no cost (within 50 miles). As a final resort, you may want to have it towed to a GM Dealer so they can use their Tech II to reset for it you? If you replaced the crank sensor you're going to have to get to a Tech II anyway so the crank sensor re-learn can be done. Get everything done at one shot??

Link: https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...o-learn-41012/

Old 02-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Beginning Member

i removed the pass floor kick panel after hearing a click--click--click--click and after noticed everytime i turn the key (at initial start-up attempt) the pcm (lower kick panel area) clicks 4 times in 3 seconds. normal??? my 02' 2.2 s-10 or my daughters 95' 4.3 jimmy do not do this........ another problem/part to check and/or purchase?

Old 02-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

Is the security light flashing? If no I'd check the fuel pump relay.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Beginning Member

the light is flashing as i open the door and sit inside. i can start the relearn process, (key-on for 10 minutes) and at 10 minutes it goes off, turn the key off (leaving it in the ignition) for 10 seconds, turn it back on for 10 minutes, then off 10 sec, (you get the deal for a 3x cycle, try and start it...........it starts for 2-3 seconds, then dies. it almost refuses to accept the passlock re-learn (now i have attempted it 13 times over 6 days). i did try the "jump the relay" w/ a jumper wire and heard/felt the jets flowing the entire time it was in the relay holes and tried starting it, no luck. also attempted to swap the relay w/ another of same exact match and no luck as well.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Beginning Member

prepare to be puzzled.............. i took one last STAB at it just 20 minutes ago. installed the old/original ecm and it fired right up first key-turn. new delima = no tach and still has the original raspy rough idle. after 12 mins or so it threw me a p0340 code (camshaft position sensor A curcuit (bank ! or single sensor).

i did read many times that if a camshaft sensor or the crankshaft sensor is replaced, it would have to have a "forced relearn" w/ a costly OB2 SCAN TOOL. my smog guy said he would do such but thats a $65 service charge and he couldnt guarentee a passing due to him not being the part installer.

new question, would that code cause the raspy/rough idle or am i back to square one w/ possibly swapping out the spider (i bought one along w/ gasket set, now sitting on the bench awaiting a sign).

Quick Reply: 98 bravada passlock re-learn problem