Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

smog pump replacements

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Beginning Member
markjr390 is on a distinguished road
Default smog pump replacements

Anyone have issues with the smog pumps in the 01 blazer? I've replaced it 3 times in a 60k miles the first time was at the dealer who said that its a part that's been recalled because the pickup was on the bottom of the blazer which would cause it to suck up water. Now the pickup is on the top and I'm still blowing the motor. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 02-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

is your carbon canister clogged?

Old 03-01-2011, 03:34 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Thor_449
is your carbon canister clogged?
I never tested it how would i check to see if its clogged? I am getting alright mileage not nearly as great as i use to and from what i read could be a indicator? Thanks

Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The carbon canister does not have anything in common with the AIR (air injection reaction) system or what you are referring to as the smog pump.

What is the primary failure mode of the motor that you are experiencing? Is it dying due to water intrusion which is shorting it out or causing the motor to rust & seize?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Beginning Member

The first replacement motor was done at the dealer check engine light came on brought it in and as it turns out it was the smog pump... ( I had a warranty and thought it would cover it bout they consider it as replaceable as a thermostat... so it wasn't) all they said was what i posted above about it sucking up water from underneath didn't have a chance to see the motor. The second one I replaced the motor wasn't fully seized you could turn it but it wasn't smooth ( you could also hear something bouncing around in the housing.) It seemed to me that the motor overheated and melted itself up. No sign of any rust though. The third one I haven't pulled out yet. Fuses have been checked no issue I'm curious to see the state of the third. Would it be possible that the egr value would stick open when the pump is off and send some heat back at the smog pump? Thanks -Mark

Old 03-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The EGR and AIR systems are completely different. The EGR system allows spent exhaust gases to be metered back into the intake as inert gas in efforts to reduce combustion temperatures. The AIR system forces outside air into the exhaust stream to improve catalytic converter efficiency.

In the AIR system, a steel line connects to each of the exhaust manifolds. Those steel lines each have a check valve on the other end before the lines transition to rubber and combine together. From there, the rubber line runs down to the output from the AIR pump. Typically, if one of the check valves is leaking, it will burn out one of the elbows or the 'T' that combines the two lines together before it will get to the pump.

From the sounds of it, there have been defects in the pumps that has caused them to fail prematurely.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The EGR and AIR systems are completely different. The EGR system allows spent exhaust gases to be metered back into the intake as inert gas in efforts to reduce combustion temperatures. The AIR system forces outside air into the exhaust stream to improve catalytic converter efficiency.

In the AIR system, a steel line connects to each of the exhaust manifolds. Those steel lines each have a check valve on the other end before the lines transition to rubber and combine together. From there, the rubber line runs down to the output from the AIR pump. Typically, if one of the check valves is leaking, it will burn out one of the elbows or the 'T' that combines the two lines together before it will get to the pump.

From the sounds of it, there have been defects in the pumps that has caused them to fail prematurely.
Yeah i was figuring i was having bad luck with them, ::sigh:: though I'm going to be taking off the pump in a week or so and replacing it maybe some new information will arise Thanks for the clarification of the two system btw.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Administrator

No problem!

While you have the pump out, start the engine. See if you are getting any exhaust flow leaking past the check valves and into the pump.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:36 PM
johnta1 is on a distinguished road

swartlkk, is the air pump you're talking about the electric one under the core support?

Where does the single big hose go to?
(not the 2 hoses that go to the exhaust manifolds)

(sorry for the intrusion also on this thread)

Old 03-26-2011, 03:24 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by johnta1
swartlkk, is the air pump you're talking about the electric one under the core support?

Where does the single big hose go to?
(not the 2 hoses that go to the exhaust manifolds)

(sorry for the intrusion also on this thread)
The electric one below and near the passenger side radiator. The big hose in a air inlet.

Quick Reply: smog pump replacements