Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

AC Delco parts ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 05:08 AM
Forist72 is on a distinguished road
Default AC Delco parts ?

Hey guys was wondering people keep saying only use AC Delco ignition parts. What makes them different from other ignition parts are they made from different materials or different spec's. I and I think others are wondering about this..... thanks for any input.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:52 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Better quality.. simple as that.
These trucks eat cheaper parts like a piranha eats a zebra

Old 07-26-2014, 08:39 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

only thing ignition related ive noticed is MUCH better are the control modules,and plugs. Maybe wires.

only thing that i dont use from ac delco are the rotors in the distributors. you almost need a hammer to knock em in! the BWD brand snaps right on.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Tranzman is on a distinguished road

I am an x GM tech and i don't use GM parts (except plugs) any more. GM dumped the AC Delco manufacturing plant about 6-8 years ago. all they do now is re-box out sourced parts. I have seen AC Delco parts in the bag inside BWD boxes. (i now work for a parts distributor) The big question is: if AC Delco doesn't manufacture their own Ignition parts, Who is the authorized Manufacturer??? as far as Plugs are concerned I do use AC Delco Plugs, but have learned that Denso or NGK make them for AC. when choosing ignition parts I always choose the premium over the cheaper ones. I almost never have trouble with them. Everything I own has Autolite Pro wires on it. Most have 10K or more as far as the injector set ups you are better off with new over the remans, especially the first Gen. Vortec CPI single injector. I have used New BWD injectors in the 2nd Gen Vortec's. MPFI replacement for the SFI factory unit.
Quality Rocks & Cheap is Cheap no matter how you doll it up
Good Luck

Old 07-29-2014, 07:22 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

AC-Delco of the past was a good quality GM controlled and operated brand. ACDelco today is post bankruptcy (it was sold off) and now gets parts from all around the world. Wire sets are assembled in Mexico with Asian components.

If you get a box that says AC-Delco, it's the real deal. If the box says ACDelco, it's the newer stuff. The " - " in the name is the tattletale.

They still have to pass gm inspection

Old 07-30-2014, 06:13 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

this is interesting....that explains why my "acdelco" fuel pump was dead out of box...

Man....wtf do we do now.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:15 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Tranzman
I am an x GM tech and i don't use GM parts (except plugs) any more. GM dumped the AC Delco manufacturing plant about 6-8 years ago. all they do now is re-box out sourced parts. I have seen AC Delco parts in the bag inside BWD boxes. (i now work for a parts distributor) The big question is: if AC Delco doesn't manufacture their own Ignition parts, Who is the authorized Manufacturer??? as far as Plugs are concerned I do use AC Delco Plugs, but have learned that Denso or NGK make them for AC. when choosing ignition parts I always choose the premium over the cheaper ones. I almost never have trouble with them. Everything I own has Autolite Pro wires on it. Most have 10K or more as far as the injector set ups you are better off with new over the remans, especially the first Gen. Vortec CPI single injector. I have used New BWD injectors in the 2nd Gen Vortec's. MPFI replacement for the SFI factory unit.
Quality Rocks & Cheap is Cheap no matter how you doll it up
Good Luck

So, when these trucks eat airtex fuel pumps like its a chubby kid with a bag of candy, then put in a delco-dephi pump and it works like it should?

Also, put a BWD ICM in my truck after the OEM went out after 198k miles, the BWD ICM went bad after 4 days.. got a delco, and its still running.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:17 PM
BF Veteran

im that chubby kid. But on a diet.

I guess that they are parting out parts under a delco name nowadays. It'd be sweet if delco would respond to this,but we know that ant happening.

Man. i want some Popsicles.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:39 AM
Tranzman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richphotos

So, when these trucks eat airtex fuel pumps like its a chubby kid with a bag of candy, then put in a delco-dephi pump and it works like it should?

Also, put a BWD ICM in my truck after the OEM went out after 198k miles, the BWD ICM went bad after 4 days.. got a delco, and its still running.
Finally got some time to sit at my computer. I admit that Airtex has had their problems in the past. But has always been a less expensive alternative to factory parts. As far as fuel pumps go Airtex builds a better product since they reinvested in new manufacturing equipment and better quality testing. Airtex has upped their 1 year warranty to a lifetime warranty. This move would be a sure fired bankruptcy if they haven’t improved quality. I have an Airtex pump on both my S-10 w/ 5k on the pump and my wife’s 2002 Venture AWD w/ about 50k on that one. With all that said, Delphi is the OEM part of choice now. All manufactures have their problems, I even had to get 4 different solenoids through GM dealer I worked at to fix a car on their time. 3 out of 4 bad AC Delco parts right out of the box isn’t very good odds.
I also agree that BWD is also an after-market supplier. You missed the point, BWD has a premium line of parts. I usually buy that premium product when I can. As far as your ICM you mentioned. I had 92 Blazer 4.3W that I put a standard duty BWD ICM on and drove it for a year and a half with no trouble with that part. I sold it to a friend at work and he still hasn’t had to replace that part. The reman BWD injector I installed while I owned it (1 year warranty) failed 2 times during the year he owned it. So we bumped him to the new “AC Delco”.
I also had a long conversation with a fuel injector remanufacturer about the CPI unit. He stated that at one time you could buy a new injector for it, but it has been discontinued for some time. So the pool of supply is getting smaller for that item. This forces a good used one to be run in the set up. All of these good used are from vehicles with over 100k, which means it’s bound to fail sometime. His suggestion was to buy new for that part if you can. AC Delco will hoard the remaining new injector for itself while the supply lasts. Then the part will get discontinued all together…
This is a forum to share information and experience. Opinions are like ---holes, everybody has one. One should not be offended because someone has a different opinion. Everybody’s experience is different. What works for one doesn’t always work for another. This would be a sad sad world if everybody had the same things and drove the same thing and lived in the same style house.

Last edited by Tranzman; 08-06-2014 at 10:42 AM. Reason: left out BWD in decription of ICM