Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1995 distributor problems / code 1345

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Beginning Member
nineteensixtycaddy is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 distributor problems / code 1345

Background: engine swap completed in my garage, complete from pan to valve covers, reused my intake, accessories, starter, etc.
Put in new distributor, plugs, wires.
Goofed... distributor for 96... found out part # difft from 95, so... replaced with 95 distributor
this is the distributor with the horizontal plug connections.

When 96 distributor in, set timing points, engine to top dead center, rotor to #6, fired up, ran nice and smooth, but threw up code #1345.

So finally replaced with 95, figured OK now we got this!

WRONG

So...Have read the forums about how to properly set the timing, point the distrib to #6, turn engine to top dead center, then line up timing marks, etc etc. Have done this several several times. Have had my mechanic do this several several times.

Again...Truck starts great, idles real nice and smooth. But it keeps throwing up this code 1345. Have reset by disconnecting battery... mechanic has reset with an OBDII scantool.

I have read about doing a case relearn procedure...
But...cannot do a case relearn procedure (not sure why.. mechanic says it doesn't apply to this engine?).

What is the solution? I need this thing on the road like three weeks ago.... any ideas?

Old 02-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you and your mechanic followed the specific trouble code definition for your year? The code listed in the OBD2 DTC Index is specific to the full OBD2 vehicles. You may have a mongrel on your hands which may have differences in the diagnosis. I would think that your mechanic would have access to the necessary diagnostic steps.

BTW, no need to PM for help. Actually, I advise against it.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Beginning Member
Default sorry... and no

Sorry for the p.m. about this... just read the rules and saw your response. My mistake.

As to the mongrel that it is... yes it is! As to any updated information about the error code, all I can gather is that it is a crank/distributor position error, and that the crank sensor is functioning properly, and the distributor has been placed properly numerous times, even moving it both directions into misfire, one tooth at a time. Still none of the positions appear to solve the problem.

So... I'm still at the point of... HELP!!!

Old 02-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Starting Member
1997 red blazer is on a distinguished road

Question, did you replace the factory timing cover with a new one on the engine rebuild ?

Old 02-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Beginning Member
Default timing cover

the rebuilt engine came pre-run with a sealed timing cover. I have not opened it, as doing so would require a replacement cover, as these are plastic covers.

good idea though... I guess it might be possible that the timing is off from the factory... but not likely considering the smooth idle.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Starting Member

There has been some problems with the New replacement covers.

Does it have the crank postion sensor on it ?

Last edited by rriddle3; 02-15-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 02-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Beginning Member
Default crank position sensor

Yes.. it does have the crank position sensor. And all signs point to it functioning properly.

as to the timing cover... not aware of any problems, again it came from the rebuilder with this cover, and I'd assume it's ok. but again that's only assumption. What sort of problems (other than possible leaks) could a bad cover cause?

Old 02-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Starting Member

The crank position sensor hole not being quite drilled in the correct location on the cover. Just a thought ? Not sure if this is your problem ? Thought I would put it out to you and the Forum if it could be infact that ? T.J.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Beginning Member

Hmm... I await input from everybody This is interesting.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Beginning Member

bump......c'mon something...

I really need this truck running

Quick Reply: 1995 distributor problems / code 1345