Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

fuel pump/ignition problem 02 blzr

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:50 PM
jetmech is on a distinguished road
Default fuel pump/ignition problem 02 blzr

I am working on this 2002 blazer for a friend of mine. The fuel pump died so I changed the fuel pump. The pump is now running. Tried to start the Blazer and it did not start. Seems like something in the ignition system has gone t/u. I did not have a fuel pressure guage but I did press the little poppet on the fuel rail and fuel came out. So I'm assuming that it has fuel pressure. I tried a little shot of starter fluid and it would not fire. Any input would be great. Also the battery was dead and had to recharge. Could that have possibly triggered something on the theft detection system that is killing the ignition? I'm just about ready to take it to a shop.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:04 AM
jetmech is on a distinguished road

update: checked the fuel pressure with a gauge 60 psi

Old 12-16-2009, 01:41 PM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

it should have the right fuel pressure. is it getting any spark at all?

Old 08-06-2010, 01:41 PM
rdmnotes is on a distinguished road
Default 2002 Blazer lack of power and stalling

I have a 2002 Blazer with 110,000 miles and this morning it would attempt to start and then die right away. Prior to today, it was experiencing power loss on the interstate and it would also intermittently stall when taking off from a stop. It seems to stall more when the tank was below a half tank and the outside temperature was over 95F. I believe my problem is a fuel pump so I am curious was symptoms you were having before you replaced your fuel pump.
Thank you, Ron.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Starting Member
01blackxtreme is on a distinguished road

hey rdmnotes, i have a 01 xtreme blazer and im experienceing the same problems you are. Mine is really starting to **** me off. ok since i bought it was always kinda sluggish but i figured it was from sitting at the dealer for about 6 months and rarely started. but l8ly its been getting just ridiculous. It seems to lose power at around 3500rpm after one of two things, 1) runnning the a/c for about 2 hours straight or 2) if the temp is above 95 outside just like yours. and if i let it sit and run for about 10 mins with the ac on then as soon as i put it in gear t and take off it just dies or wants to die. heres a perfect example of what its doind, yesterday my temp gauge said it was about 96 degrees outside and i ran my a/c on a 120ish mile trip when it started slugging, wouldnt go past 3500 rpm or nothing, as soon as i pushed the pedal to the floor it did nothing acted kinda like it was overloading/underloading with fuel and then i started smelling that old tarnished gas smell when i stopped. keep in mind it does this quite often. now last night im on my way back home from that same trip and the temp said it was 79 degreees outside and the damn thing ran like a blown big block, had no power loss issues and as soon as i hit the gas the response was there.....lol any idea's anyone? o and it did seem a lil like my fuel pump was making a louder than normal noise.

p.s. have changed distributor, wires, plugs, cap, rotor and o2 sensor

Old 08-30-2010, 12:43 PM
rdmnotes is on a distinguished road

OK, I replaced my fuel pump and all the problems went away. Lots of power and no stalling. The fuel pump was the problem.
FYI, I borrowed a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone and my fuel pressure at the rail varied between 48 - 52. When the pressure dropped below 50, it would not start. The new pump's pressure is in the 60's. I am starting to like my Blazer again.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

For the other two guys who jumped on the thread. Take a dmm (digital Multi meter) and check the voltage of the mass air flow censor. If you have a fluke meter use that insted because it will be more accurate. Anyways check the voltage to a book of references. I don't have them but maybe some one else would.