Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Alternative P1870 fix-so-far

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:08 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by drblaze
Hey glad it reached you.

I've lost a little of the terminology, so I'm not exactly sure what I did about the "boost valve" and "EPC solenoid." But below is what I know I did do, per the TransGo instructions. Maybe you'll be able to tell whether it relates to the boost valve and EPC solenoid.

Page 1: Mine was the "2nd Type," and I installed as shown.
Page 2: This I skipped entirely, as mentioned, because it required removal of that servo cover.
Page 3: I did step #1 (is this the "boost valve" you're talking about?). Re #2, I put in a new EPC screen, but left out the wire spacer (wouldn't stay in place very easily; I bent one all up the first time). Re #4, I did use a new VB separator plate; two check ***** were embedded in their worn holes.
Page 4: Did #1, but again, instead of the TransGo TCC valve+spring, I used the TeckPak valve.
Page 5: Did #1, 2, 3, 4, as instructed. Mine was "2nd Type" in #4.
Page 6: Did not do, again because it requires a code from the 2nd Piston, which I couldn't access under that servo cover. I thought about guessing which spring to put in that 1-2 accumulator bushing and valve, but then thought better of it.

So that's it. I'm very happy with the smooth but firm 1-2 shift, the 2-3 shift is fine. Not crazy about the weak 3-4 shift, but don't think any of these steps affected that.

Let me know how it goes.
Hi there
just curious, on page 3 it says to drill out some holes in the separtor plate. did you drill them out? and if you did, to what size did you drill the 1-2 shift hole? it says .063 prefered or .070 firmer.... just curious, to as what you drilled there? thanks

Old 04-25-2011, 01:30 AM
Beginning Member
qsecofr is on a distinguished road

I have now changed the TCC-valve and now my lock-up is working very nice, even when when the tranny is hot.

Thank you drblaze for this trick!

Cheers from Sweden.

/qsec

Old 07-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Beginning Member
harrymonkeyboy is on a distinguished road

hi i am planning on installing the fitz-all tcc valve this week-end i have the new part in front of me, thanks to the original poster for starting this thread I have the p1870 and it is causing me to fail nc state emmisions inspection just cause i have a code instant fail now i face a chance of a ticket if i drive it, anyway i read from a post that another possible issue i could face is a valve body plate that is worn from the check ***** i don't know if this is a cause for the code but more so for a hard shift condition and i understand that the two problems are often associated, any way my question is has any one else had to replace the vb plate as well as the tcc valve.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Beginning Member

well i couldn't wait till weekend so today is the day man how intimidating it can be to drop that pan and the atf goes everywhere and the mess begins dust and dirt sticks to yer hands and finds its way to the work area one way or another (this is happening in the driveway on a sheet of 7mil plastic that i parked ontop of but still the dirt finds you, every single freakin clip to hold the electric connectors on broke coming off omg it must have gotten hot in there new harness 65 bucks, tcc valve went in perty easy, check ball was sure as the world wedged in the separator plate new plate 25 bucks,

now in every thing i read no one mentioned the 8th check ball it is not in the vb its on the case side of the sep. plate near the 3-4 accumulator dont loose it when you remove the VB, also i didnt realize till assembly was almost complete, in fact puting the pan bolts in that omg i didnt put the little rod in to the 3-4 accumulator in fact it had fallen in to the drain pan when i removed the VB so i was not aware of its existence at all til i found it time to pull it back down, well not yet a storm was coming up and i left the pan on so no dust could enter the tran due to high winds breaking out the lights in a bit after dinner ive studied the vids and exploded views again now i THINK im an expert lol, gonna fill her up and road test in the morning given all goes well

Last edited by harrymonkeyboy; 07-07-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Beginning Member

well i didnt wait till morning i re-re-assembled it and filled her up idled it for 30 min or so checked for leaks cheaked the fluid levels and took it down the road, so far so good all the shifts feel great so far no MIL but didnt drive it enough gonna do some drive cycles in the morning and hopefully get my inspection. im looking forward to tearing down the highway and giving it hell to see what she will do.

thanks guys and mostly to the origanal poster for this thread i was not even gonna try this myself before you introduced me to the fitz-all replacement tcc valve, seriously i cant thank you enough you saved me serious cash my friend.