Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Any advice for replacing clutch and possibly tranny on 1985 2.8L?

Old 07-15-2016, 05:47 PM
Beginning Member
Maefield is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Any advice for replacing clutch and possibly tranny on 1985 2.8L?

So im pretty sure I need to replace the clutch in my 1985 2.8L S10 blazer but not sure if my tranny is ok. It started as the throwout bearing (chirping when clutch not engaged). A few months ago while driving home, i stopped at a light and had a hell of a time getting it back in 1st. It was very hard to get into any gear while driving and i could hear a loud grinding/crunching noise. The 3rd light i stopped at i had to turn off the engine to get it into gear and luckily i lived a block away from there. I had to move it over like 2 parking spaces a couple of weeks later, still made the gringing/crunching noise, and it has not moved since.

I obviously need a new clutch , pressure plate, throwout bearing, ect. Anyone have any advice before I get started?
Also, with the grinding /crunching, metal on metal noises.... did I tear up my transmission? How do i tell?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Old 07-15-2016, 06:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Grinding/crunching is never a good noise to hear. The easiest method of determining the health of the internals is to pull the drain plug and catch all of the fluid in a clear container. Let it settle out and see how much debris is left at the bottom of the container.

If your truck is 2wd, replacing the clutch is pretty darn easy. 4wd is a bit more complicated.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:08 AM
Beginning Member
Maefield is on a distinguished road

Alright, ill do that hopefully tomorrow. And it is 4x4.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:31 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i had a 83 s10 blazer i did a clutch on a few times. if its set up the same way theres a goofy self adjusting gear thing attached to the actual clutch pedal up under the dash, if a tooth get ripped out of that plastic gear which happened to me it makes it hard to get it into gear.

also i dont even think they had a throw out bearing, it was more like a brass bushing