Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

ANYONE EVER USED RESTORE OIL TREATMENT???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:52 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Default ANYONE EVER USED RESTORE OIL TREATMENT???

I was just curious if anyone here has ever used RESTORE OIL TREATMENT?
A friend of mine who buys many cars & trucks recommended it to me a year or so ago. So I decided since my friend is a mechanic/hot rodder. I would try it in an old Dodge D250 we owned. I noticed the engine got quieter lifters etc. Oil pressure remained the same. Then I added it to a couple of our other rigs with the same result. One time I went to add it and forgot to shake it good. On the bottom of the can I saw a black substance, which once I added a small amount of oil mixed right in. I believe that black was graphite.
Anyway I added a can to our Blazer this morning and the engine after running it sounds quieter & smoother running.
Just wondering if anyone else ever use it.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:46 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: ANYONE EVER USED RESTORE OIL TREATMENT???

I had thought about using it but never have, I am sort of weary about those fix-it solutions in a can things.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:41 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I've used it a few times in a '90 C1500 I had once I got over 100K miles on it. Not sure if it really helped anything or not. I changed the oil religiously every 3000 miles on it and it always ran fine before and after using the Engine Restore. The truck now has over 300K miles on it and runs as strong as the day I drove it off the lot of the dealership brand new. I think it has more to do with routine maintenance than anything else, though.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

I am wary of any kind of overhaul-in-a-can product. The only product I can vouch for is Shaler Rislone. That stuff renews a high milage engine with noisy lifters. I used it as directed two consecutive times in a 1963 Bonneville convertible and I know it quietened the lifters and I feel like the engine ran smoother and better.I know for a fact thatif you can getstickinghydraulic lifters to function properly forbetter valve action by either cleaning or replacing them, the engine performance will improve quit a bit. I have had similar results by usingtwo quarts of kerosene withthree quarts of motor oil when I changed the oil. Iran between 30 and 40 MPH for about 50 miles with thatin the engine and then drained the oil - kerosene mixture and repeated theprocess three times. My dad taught me to do that because hehad to patch up his old cars and make them run beetter rather that buy new ones.He never boughta car until 1939, at the age of 39, and after he had been married 19 years with four children!

I think the appropriate question about using Restore should be:
"Does itit damage the engine to use Restore?" rather than "Does it do the engine any good to use Restore?"

Old 05-05-2008, 05:00 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road

I just bought a can the other day but havent used it yet cause i just had an oil change and don't feel like draining some of the oil and wasn't really sure either whether it is good to use or not.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:50 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I HAVE NEVER BEEN A BIG OIL ADDITIVE PERSON EITHER BUT I HAVE SEEN GOOD THINGS WITH SOME. RISLONE IS AN OLD PRODUCT THAT HAS BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS. I REMEMBER IT AS A KID IN THE 50S & 60S IT WORKS WELL ALSO. THE THING THAT CAUGHT MY ATTENTION WITH RESTORE WAS IT APPEARS TO BE LOADED WITH GRAPHITE. A FRIEND OF MINE IS A AIRCRAFT MECHANICAL ENGINEER. HE HIGHLY RECOMMENDS GRAPHITE IN MODERN ENGINES FOR LONG LIFE.
ANYWAY, WAS JUST CURIOUS.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:12 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

your caps lock is on.......makes it hard to read buddy......

Old 05-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Starting Member
rdhack is an unknown quantity at this point

Lucas Oil products are the only ones I use.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:21 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

I used Restore 4 on my old cavalier and felt no difference in performance or anything. I used Z Max and felt a pick-up in acceleration and it ran and shifted a little smoother.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: rdhack
Lucas Oil products are the only ones I use.
I once tried Lucas Oil in my Blazer, and the engine wouldn't start up. After I drained it and refilled with fresh oil, it ran great after that. I think I may have used too much, because it has a really thick consistency. Just a tip for anybody else that wants to try it.

Quick Reply: ANYONE EVER USED RESTORE OIL TREATMENT???