Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

automatic transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:33 PM
Beginning Member
snow man is on a distinguished road
Default automatic transmission problem

after driving down the interstate at 70 then go into town driving. when i stop and take off from a traffic light it shifts real hard from 1st to second. i checked the fluid and its ok. what else could it be? need ideas please. thank you

Old 10-27-2014, 08:44 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Here is a GM TSB, (technical service bulletin) that addresses 4L60E intermittent harsh 1-2 shift when hot. http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/he...-2_Upshift.pdf

The problem is the 1-2 spool valve bore in the valve body could worn. It causes the spool valve to bind until pressure builds high enough to free it up, then it shifts, hard. It can also cause poor or no TCC, (converter lock up). There are some aftermarket companies that have rebuilt valve bodies, and some have a kit available to do the repair yourself.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 11-01-2014 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Add link to TSB
Old 11-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Tranzman is on a distinguished road

I agree with Captain Hook. Verify that the P1870 code exists. You can get a free code scan at most parts stores. Then replace the valve body or install a Fitz all valve in yours for the correct year trans. see Transmission Parts | Tools | Fitzall | TeckPak. We covered this in more detail in a different post I think. If I find it I'll add the name of it to this post.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Beginning Member

thanks. ok now how can you know when your steering box is bad or going bad?i adjusted it already. it likes to wander a bit.or is it out of alignment? thanks for any help.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Contrary to popular belief: according to Saginaw, (the manufacturer of the gear box), and the GM factory shop manual, the steering gear must be removed from the vehicle to properly adjust the preload. In a nutshell, the adjustment is done by using an inch pound torque wrench on the input shaft. Adjustments made using any other procedure can, (and usually does) cause permanant damage to the gear box. If you're not familiar with the procedure, there are some Youtube videos that explain how to set it up, or have a "pro" check it for you.

A "wander" or "looseness" in the steering can be caused by several things, including the gear box. The most common causes are incorrect wheel alignment adjustments, worn steering linkage, worn suspension parts, worn steering shaft tulip joint, (upper intermediate shaft) or a worn rag joint, (lower intermediate shaft).

Old 11-09-2014, 07:53 PM
Beginning Member

did the blazers ever come with 16 inch tires and rims from the factory? if so what years?