Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Bar's Stop Leak or NOT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 10:02 AM
Jon71 is on a distinguished road
Default Bar's Stop Leak or NOT?

2000 Blazer, 218,800miles, just put $900 into it in repairs and tires to pass inspection. 1week later, coolant clouds coming from heat vents and making it impossible to see through windshield. !! Also coolant leaking onto ground. Shop says yes its the heater core. $900-1100 for that job. Frustrated! Mechanic friend says try Bar's StopLeak Original Pellet formula. So I try it and the coolant leak to.outside STOPS completely! Awesome!! The venting coolant fumes onto interior windshield is 80% reduced! My question is: Can I put another can of StopLeak (same kind) and get it to stop completely? Or will that cause more problems? Or does the fact that it didn't completely stop mean the leak is just too big and its hopeless? (unless I do the big job)... whatever you all can tell me is very helpful!! Thank you!!

Old 10-17-2015, 12:27 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You should have not used any of that. It causes more problems than it actually fixes.

The heater core needs to be replaced, and now that you put bars stop leak the cooling system will need to be flushed to remove any that is in the system.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:26 PM
Beginning Member
jpjones55 is on a distinguished road

I used the $50 jug of bar's in my 2000 4.3 ls 4wd. i had a leak at the thermostat housing, replaced it. got a helluva leak out of the water pump, replaced it. then sprung a small leak somewhere on the drivers side intake and we tried for days to pinpoint but could not. the bar's, following the video they have to the t, fixed it. helluva lot cheaper than the alternative. been good to go for about a month now....

Old 10-17-2015, 02:15 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

For a temporary fix in an absolute emergency situation, (like you're selling the car tomorrow) that stuff is an option. For a permanent fix, don't even consider it. Keep in mind that the product is designed to plug up holes/passages to stop leaks, and when it clogs up the radiator, and everything else in the cooling system, (and it will) the entire cooling system will need to be flushed, and the radiator will more than likely need to be replaced, along with the original problem of heater core. If you're planning on keeping the vehicle, life just became more difficult, and expensive for you.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:30 PM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

If I where you..I wouldn`t put any type of stop leak in anything..You `ll have to take it to a mechanic that knows how to work and fix any type of repairs on any type of vehicles.There`s alot of grease monkey`s out there that claim they can fix anything.You have to be careful on choosing who you let work on any vehicle.I would try Firestone.Their pretty trust worthy, plus they back up their work in writing.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:36 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

I agree with everyone else about not using stop leak - But sometimes you find yourself in a bind and have no choice - Years ago I was hundreds of miles away from home and the side of the radiator on my 83 Chevy Diesel pickup started puking fluid out just about as fast as it could be dumped in, Two containers of silver seal stop leak in and away I went, Yup the aluminum bits in the stop leak sealed up the leak [ and by the way it's still sealed up ] But I ended up replacing the alt the next day because the stop leak blew out as it was sealing the leak and ended up in the alt burning the internals out along with the bearings - Use with caution and as a last resort just before walking a long distance home

Last edited by odat; 10-17-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:51 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

NOT - EVER. Same for liquid flat repair. No one ever has liquid flat repair or Bars leak when its a real emergency. You still have to have water or air to fill things up, and that make it a non-emergency.