Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Blazer won't move until it warms up

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 09:29 AM
Beginning Member
ShadowZone is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer won't move until it warms up

Hi everyone

I have a 2000 Blazer 4wd ZR2 160k miles. Trans filter & fluid changed this past summer. Cat glogged and burnt up one of my exhaust recirculating hoses. The ones that carry exhaust from one manifold to the other, I don't understand the logic.

When the hose busted it burnt up some vacuum hoses lines and air pump hoses. knocked the cat out and ever since, after the car sits for 8 hrs. or so the car won't move until it warms up. I have tried it in 2wd & 4wd, it is more prevalent in reverse. I have checked the fluid when warmed up and first thing in morning when cold and the read about the same.
Also when first starting does not want to run or starts runs rough and dies. Hit the starter a second time whether it started at first or not, it fires right up and runs good. After warmed up it has a flutter in the idle of 200 or 300 rpms.

Heard a humming noise from the front right doing 30 just recently, going to check the front differential fluid now.

Anyone know what this is,,,, Trans seal, vacuum modulator, 3 vacuum lines switched.

PLEASE HELP

Old 11-14-2015, 01:55 PM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you have a transmission pump problem.

Last edited by Toocute350; 11-14-2015 at 01:57 PM. Reason: left out one word
Old 11-15-2015, 12:17 PM
Beginning Member
Default Transmission Rear Seal

i took the rear plug out of the deferential and tranny fluid came gushing out. just shut if off, had not driven it but should not have came out of top plug.

ANYONE know how hard it is to change the rear seal?????? The noise coming from the right front must be the wheel bearing, noise is coming from the tire and the inside tread is overly worn.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:05 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Rear diff or the Xfer case - trans don't have anything to do with the rear diff - Front seal in the Xfer case is easy to replace but you have to drop the Xfer case - google it it's not that hard to do other than man handling the Xfer case - I have a stupid ? are you checking the trans fluid with it running and in park -
Also with the starting prob I would do the fuel pressure checks - my toy was doing the same when I first put her together the pump was going out

Last edited by odat; 11-15-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:01 AM
Beginning Member
Default Quick Fix for Transmission Rear Seal

Heard about a product on YOUTUBE, AT 205 RE-SEAL. Thought to give it a try before pulling differential and replacing the rear seal. That stuff works great, and very fast too, put it in drove about 10 miles. Left car sit overnight, next morning started it up and it took right off. Ever since then no matter how long it sits or how cold it is, it starts moving as soon as I put it into gear.
I know this is just a temporary fix, but I sure hope it gets rough the winter. Who would believe that 8 oz. of a clear liquid would stop the leak and restore pressure so fast.

Found it at a local parts dealer, so I did not have to order it online. Fishers auto parts is the only one I could find that carried it. I heard that some local parts stores also carry it. Thinking of getting a second bottle to play it safe $13 dollars its worth it!!!!!!!!

Old 11-22-2015, 10:12 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Sorry but bet its a temp fix. Usually all fix in a bottle does is swell the seal. The seal is bad and it will have to be replaced eventually

Old 11-24-2015, 05:30 PM
Beginning Member
Default If it makes it untill spring $13 well invested

I had said that I know it was a temporary fix, that I hoped it would get me through the winter. I agree that all bottle additives to the transmission or the oil, are not going to fix the problem. But some can hopefully buy time, until you either ditch the truck or crawl under it in moderate climate to facilitate repairs. I am a Blazer Lover, so I hope to pursue this endeavor in warm climate and a dry back.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:56 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

sorry missed you saying that.