Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

RPMS jumping

Old 11-04-2006, 08:42 PM
soul_seeker77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RPMS jumping

Hey everyone. I have a 96 Blazer 4x4. This past week I have been having problems highway driving. When I get up to 75-80 km/h right around 4th gear, the rpms start jumping and you can feel the whole truck chuggin. If I gas out or slow down its fine, just around that speed. I had a tuneup done a year ago (caps,plugs,wires). Im not sure if this would be a tranny problem or where to start. I dont wanna be a guniea pig for the mechanics and start forkin out $$ trouble shooting. Anyone have a similiar problem and suggestions? The most I came up with when I tried googling a solution is the distributor cap or possible solenoid problem... [&:]

Old 11-04-2006, 09:21 PM
magtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: RPMS jumping

any codes?

assuming it's an auto, what happens if you put the gear selector at 3? (no overdrive)

how does the trans fluid look and smell?

Old 11-05-2006, 02:27 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

You really should have the computer scanned for stored DTC's(diagnostic trouble codes). This will be more accurate than guessing.

But if I were to guess, I would check the TCLM (torque converter lockup mechanism) it controls the torque converter and if it is failing the rpms will flucuate about 200rpms when it is locking and unlocking, the VSS (vehicle speed sensor), the MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) for dirt buildup, EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculating valve) it maybe clogged. But I am leaning towards the TCLM.

Check with AutoZone or a local parts retailer to see if they offer this service or call a local mechanic and see how much it will cost.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:21 PM

ORIGINAL: magtec

any codes?

assuming it's an auto, what happens if you put the gear selector at 3? (no overdrive)

how does the trans fluid look and smell?
Havent taken it in to check the codes, im sure theyll be some though, my engine light has been burnt out for about 3 years now.

I took it out of OD today and tried it on drive, didnt have any problems.

Trans fluid is where it should be, probably should be changed, dark brown color.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:25 PM

ORIGINAL: 20Blazer00

You really should have the computer scanned for stored DTC's(diagnostic trouble codes). This will be more accurate than guessing.

But if I were to guess, I would check the TCLM (torque converter lockup mechanism) it controls the torque converter and if it is failing the rpms will flucuate about 200rpms when it is locking and unlocking, the VSS (vehicle speed sensor), the MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) for dirt buildup, EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculating valve) it maybe clogged. But I am leaning towards the TCLM.

Check with AutoZone or a local parts retailer to see if they offer this service or call a local mechanic and see how much it will cost.
Im not much of one for auto mechanics. Closest I got is to the Haynes repair manual, and the only thing I can find that I might be able to do is check the egr valve. Other then that, looks like if i want it fixed I will probably be going for a ride. Thanks

Old 11-09-2006, 05:33 PM
john940n is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having the same problem.

Mine will also do it just off idle in any gear.
just a lil gas off idle and the RPM's jump, starts sounding like i have a massive cam in it.
Then it will die if I continue to do this, right before it dies the check engine light wil come on,
but will go off when i restart.

Im thinking Throttle Position Sensor? anyone else ?

also for the computer to store a code, does the light have to remain on all the time?

Old 11-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

For a place like Autozone (etc) to read it, yes. They cannot read stored codes most of the time. Neither can they see the history.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:41 PM
BLAZIN is an unknown quantity at this point

im having the same problem, on the highway it is like jerking and struggling...i just got my engine rebuilt a few weeks ago....it blew on me when i was in cruise control, very wierd..any suggestions.....?